dry wall repair for wire routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently cut a channel out of my dot and dabbed drywall in order to route some wires behind. The HDMI connector was too big to simply go down through the cavity so this seemed like the best option and its done now!

The wire has been installed and the plan now is to glue back in the 20mm strip of drywall (running almost the whole height of room).

My question is can I use a jointing compound or something like nomorenails to fix this back in before taping and sealing. I dont really want to buy a 25kg bag of adhesive for just a few hundred grams! The wall cavity is too small to use a baton to screw to first.

To get the drywall flush with the existing the glue will need to bridge the 5-10mm gap between concrete and drywall.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Sponsored Links
This is probably obvious but I will be taping, sealing and painting to hide any joins after.

I would be inclined to ditch the 20mm strip. It will remain pretty weak and will be difficult to get flush.

I normally use (minimal expanding) expanding foam which will have the advantage of strengthening the existing drywall. Once cured I scrape it back, a few mm under the facing on the drywall and then coat with filler and sand back.

If you do intend on using the strip you removed, fix battens across the hole so you can glue and or screw the strip to them.. Fill the gaps, sand and paint. Sounds simple.

Sponsored Links
If you do intend on using the strip you removed, fix battens across the hole so you can glue and or screw the strip to them.. Fill the gaps, sand and paint. Sounds simple.

But a 10mm gap plus the cable thickness?

Besides the op says that there is no space for a batton. And how many battons, how frequently would they need to be to stop someone pushing and snapping a 20mm thickness. I am guessing a batton every 20cm, even if it were possible.

additonally even with battons, adhesive would be required given that a 3.5mm screw in the centre would break the 20mm PB. The glue thickness would project the PB strip too far forward.

Not so straight forward perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back