Can I butter the wall up for plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and am currently doing my house myself.

The problem came when I tried to plasterboard the kitchen, since the walls in kitchen are uneven and some places have lose plaster. I'm trying to avoid using dot and dab just to save some space in my not-that-wide kitchen. So far I came up with two different ideas but I don't know does any of them work or which one is better.

One is to apply glue on the back of plasterboard, then stick plasterboard to the wall directly, and use extra screws to further secure the plasterboard.

Another way in my mind is to cut the plasterboard in smaller pieces (maybe around 1x1.2m), and butter both the wall and plasterboard up with drywall adhesive (like doing tiles), then stick the buttered plasterboard to the buttered wall.

I'm a DIYer, kind of new to the whole 'house regeneration project'. Are my two ideas feasible? Or which one of them is better? Please don't mind the time consume, I have plenty of time to do this, just want to do it in a good way. Would really appreciate some advice here. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
One is to apply glue on the back of plasterboard, then stick plasterboard to the wall directly, and use extra screws to further secure the plasterboard
1677431410961.png

Worked well where I needed to apply some boards replacing lathe and plaster in a stairwell. Doesn't foam up much, but enough to tap it level.

Insta stick is a more dense foam adhesive and will cope with some small gaps

If you have uneven walls stick some plastic shims or strips of wood to pack out flat, then stick the boards on. Use a few screws to hold ( make sure they are in same place as shims so you don’t crack the board.

If boarding over emulsion on walls board adhesive won't stick well. Need to follow guided for adhesive on emulsion surfaces.

Also you can keep the depth shallow at around 3mm even using board adhesive but you need to think about the adhesive dots or you won't push it out.
You may be better using foam to stick with 6 blobs of polymer grab to give that grab and hold. Foam has no grab.
Also consider adhesive on all four sides of board so it's air tight and no flex on joints

You can mix and match adhesives

Sponsored Links
---->> jacko555: Thank you Jacko, I will check this gule out. Haven't decided which glue to use yet.

----->> Notch7: Thank you Notch, I didn't know there's a foam type product for the job, gonna check it out in Screwfix.

If boarding over emulsion on walls board adhesive won't stick well. Need to follow guided for adhesive on emulsion surfaces.

Also you can keep the depth shallow at around 3mm even using board adhesive but you need to think about the adhesive dots or you won't push it out.
You may be better using foam to stick with 6 blobs of polymer grab to give that grab and hold. Foam has no grab.
Also consider adhesive on all four sides of board so it's air tight and no flex on joints

You can mix and match adhesives
Hi Wayners, sorry I forgot to mention that I completely removed everything from the wall. All walls are kind of bare now, only with the old grey plaster layer which I assume are bricks behind it? So I guess foam+glue for the grab should do it?

Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention my walls are kind of bare now, the previous owner did wallpaper and tile on it, I teared everything down. So there's only the initial grey plaster layer left on the wall.

---->> jacko555: Thank you Jacko, I will check this gule out. Haven't decided which glue to use yet.

----->> Notch7: Thank you Notch, I didn't know there's a foam type product for the job, gonna check it out in Screwfix.
Jacko555s suggestion is a low-expansion adhesive foam, similar to Notches recommendation.
I have used both Instastick and the Soudal foam, and personally, I much prefer to use the Soudal - it is also a decent price from B&Q at the moment.

Jacko555s suggestion is a low-expansion adhesive foam, similar to Notches recommendation.
I have used both Instastick and the Soudal foam, and personally, I much prefer to use the Soudal - it is also a decent price from B&Q at the moment.

Thanks Random for the info up My bad there didn't read the Soudal foam instructions through LOL. B&Q here I come!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back