Drying new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an old kitchen completely ripped out and taken back to bare bones. Plastered the walls instaed of boarding then skimmed but need to know what is best way to dry the new plaster??

Have been told a number of different things hence the confusion.

Any suggestions, p.s. the new kitchen goes "into" a conservatory type structure, i.e. glass roof etc.

The main part of the new plaster is still within the old kitchen area with 3 solid walls (used to be 4 including a kitchen window).

I am currently using a space heater and de-humidifier whilst also allowing ventilation through conservatory wndows. Someone has suggested "red heat" but I tought that was a film about russians (teehee) any helpers???

Sponsored Links
fester said:
whilst also allowing ventilation through conservatory wndows.

Try to allow for as much ventilation as possible: the air humidity at the moment is extremely low (the last two week we measured the humidity as between 29% and 39%, nothing higher!) which will help to reduce the time needed.

When the plaster has dried to a light pink colour all over... (no purpley patches) give it a couple more days then belt away, dont listen to any nonsense about leaving it for weeks and months on end, simply allow it to dry naturally with maybe a bit of ventillation.

ive painted new plaster ranging from dried out overnight with a heater on it (shop refit not by choice, but no probs!) to a couple of months. To be honest i usually find that as long as you are careful it normally takes a finish fine with no problems

Sponsored Links
You shouldnt be drying it out anyway you should just wait for it to dry naturally so you dont get any shrinkage at all the slower it dries the better unless you really are in a rush in which case you should leave it all for about 3 or so days then just put the dehumidifier on but no heat....

thanks all for your replies..

...but does anyone know what the "red heat" is???

ive seen these heaters on site and they heat the room up and light the room up red not sure why there red but it must be a different type of heat/light that reduces cracking and shrinkage maybe.

Its infra red heat mainly used by car bodyshops as its a very wide spread and even radiant heat but Like I said have a little patience and let it dry on its own mate

thanx JPL, taking your advice. It's had a few days now (although I have had heaters on) I've hired a large de-humidifier today. Just gonna let it dry now.

Thanx again to all replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back