New plaster - query on finish and drying time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first posting on this forum. I'm just an 'amateur' DIYer and have been reading up on stuff as I'm attempting to fit a kitchen in the next few weeks.

In preparation for new kitchen I've just had one wall replastered and the others skimmed. As it's drying out I've noticed slight imperfections - pinholes, tiny scratches, very small uneven patches.

Is this usual? I'm very happy with the majority of it. But worried that if I fill these other bits they will show when painted (not wallpapering or tiling).

Would it be wrong to ask the plasterer to look at these bits and correct them? I must make it clear I'm not complaining - just need advice as to whether I'm being too fussy!

Thanks.

Stuarto

One other question: how soon can I paint the new plaster and is a 50-50 water/emulsion mix ok to seal it?

Sponsored Links
as soon as it looks dry (light pinkish) give it a coat of 50/50 water and emulsion and it will show up the inperfections and then if your not happy get the plasterer back to sort it out.

If you use a roller to do this then any sizeable holes will show up, because the surrounding wall will be white, but the hole will still be pink or brown - no double entendres intended.

The hassle of having the plasterer come back... if it is just a couple of "blemishes" then I would fill them myself. Of course, only you can judge how bad it is, but it sounds like you are happy with it. If he has done a bad job, then you would be sounding pretty pi**ed off right now (bad plastering is visible from a mile off!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back