Wickes new plaster paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had my most of my house replastered and have been advised by my plasterer to use watered down emulsion and then a couple of coats of proper emulsion to paint the new plaster. I was wandering around Wickes the other day and I saw that they do paint specifically for new plaster. Has anyone tried this? I'm very tempted just to use two coats of this as it could save me time and money.

Sponsored Links
simonjcummings said:
Hi

I've just had my most of my house replastered and have been advised by my plasterer to use watered down emulsion and then a couple of coats of proper emulsion to paint the new plaster. I was wandering around Wickes the other day and I saw that they do paint specifically for new plaster. Has anyone tried this? I'm very tempted just to use two coats of this as it could save me time and money.

Plain white emulsion is about the cheapest paint you can buy and if its used for a mist coat 1 tin will go a looooong way. If you use the wickes product you will put 2 coats down plus your coloured top coat and it will be more expensive. If you mist coat you will have a mist followed by 2 top coats. Either way that makes 3 coats. Try not to to take short cuts, it will cost in the long run. ;)

nstreet said:
simonjcummings said:
Hi

Plain white emulsion is about the cheapest paint you can buy and if its used for a mist coat 1 tin will go a looooong way. If you use the wickes product you will put 2 coats down plus your coloured top coat and it will be more expensive. If you mist coat you will have a mist followed by 2 top coats. Either way that makes 3 coats. Try not to to take short cuts, it will cost in the long run. ;)

Agreed.....the stuff what they sell in the sheds is aimed at the retail market.....Dulux have a product out call 'paint for new plaster'......leading people to beleive its 'the' only paint for new plaster....its simply a fancy name for their Supermatt trade emulsion paint...which doesnt contain vinyl, therefore allowing any trapped moisture in the plaster to escape.

Avoid the 'bargain bucket' type paints, get a decent contract emulsion and thin it out...as nstreet says it goes a looooooooooong way.

Tip: lightly sand the wall after the mist coat and NOT before.

Sponsored Links
In the end I used a misting coat of Dulux Trade Supermatt followed by two coats of normal white matt. I'm pretty happy with the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back