preparing walls for plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started stripping the walls in the hallway/ landing of my Victorian house in preparation for replastering.

The previous owner had stuck wooden beading in various places on the walls to create 'frames'. Inside the frames, he wallpapered. The remaining wall areas were then painted with textured paint.

Although the beading comes of easily, on one wall it has also taken off large chunks of the old plaster and has left behind the adhesive used to stick it to the walls.

So, I have walls where in large chunks the plaster have come off and the remaining area is covered with textured paint.

I'm thinking about abandoning the job of removing the textured paint, which is taking ages, and resorting to removing the old plaster back to the sand and cement wall- basically starting again from scratch with the wall. I will get a plasterer in to do the real work, but want to do as much as possible myself in preparation.

I am a complete novice with DIY!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the textured paint and plaster are sound leave them in place! it will save you a load of cash.
Your plasterer will advise what your best course of action should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back