Preparing shiny walls for plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls have a shiny paint on them, donkey's years old. Should I remove all the paint or can it just be pva'd and plastered over? It seems fairly well adhered to the wall but comes off easily with a scraper. Still a good few hours to get it off though. Not sure whether it's gloss or shiny emulsion, probably the latter.

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
I'd scrape off what you can then PVA it.

joe

Do you think I should score the paint where I can't remove it? Some is obscured behind a water tank.

Cheers

JD

No. As long as it's basically stable just PVA and plaster (assuming that you can plaster).

joe

Sponsored Links
No. As long as it's basically stable just PVA and plaster (assuming that you can plaster)
No that's one thing I can't do! I have a plasterer lined up but can't get hold of him right now and want to get the work done today.

What I don't understand is that as the paint is shiny how does the pva adhere to it? Maybe I should sand the paint first?

Thanks again.

JD

sand it with coarse Aluminium Oxide paper ;) then 2 coats PVA diluted as per instructions on tub.......then final PVA by plasterer befor he skims it

sand it with coarse Aluminium Oxide paper icon_wink.gif then 2 coats PVA diluted as per instructions on tub.......then final PVA by plasterer befor he skims it
Right, wiill do.

Many thanks to you both, dunno what I'd do without this forum.

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back