drying room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Looking for general advice on following topic.
I work in a unit where condensation and humidty are high (cant do anything to change this) and need to construct a room approximately 4x5 metres within this unit. The purpose of the room is to dry out wet doors and furniture after processing. Need advice on building heating and ventilation.
We have in mind to build single skin breezeblock walls and timber flat roof (joists and marine board) Toyed with stud wall and marine board but as stated atmosphere is always humid so not sure all wood construction is good idea.
Need advice on most economical heating. We have no gas supply.
Ventilation?????????????
Insulation?????????????
Needs to be a very dry room with no damp, condensation etc
Looking forward to your opinions

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answer but your talking to someone who doesnt know what a heat pump is. Could someone explain a bit more and is it something i could install myself. As for air con things are begining to sound expensive on the running costs. I have a dehumidifer but it is a small ebac which processes 12 litres a day. is it up to it?
Also the main structure i explained; is it good enough or should i be considering cavity walls or insulation of any kind.

A heat pump is a air conditioning unit that can supply heating and cooling. (Which most do these day's)

The Air con unit has many different modes.
Firstly it can be set at a desired temperature and the unit will use heating and cooling to maintain that set temperature.

Cooling mode - This will supply cooling to the room, also it will remove moisture from the air when in this mode.

Dry keep - The unit will use cooling mode to lower the humudity in the room.

Air con is very cheap to run these day's as the compressors are invertor driven.
A little google will help, but here's some links to my website and a few others.

Ive done a few calculatiuons on the information provided and a 4Kw heat pump unit would do the job. You might need some seperate means of ventalation to remove any fumes etc.
A 4Kw unit supplied and fitted will be around £2500.00

As for the construction, all sounds fine, i dont think it needs to be cavity with insulation, just a block wall, thermalite blocks are very absorbant so a concrete block may be better.

www.bsurepropertysolutions.co.uk
http://www.3dair.co.uk
http://www.hrponline.co.uk/tc/Home.jsp

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. The cost of the heat pump goes beyond our budget so we will be looking for alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back