Drying time for mortar before priming surface for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently repairing an area of tiles which had come loose, in a shower.

They are in the bottom of a recess, which is actually a window frame (still has a window on the outside, with boarding in between.

When I removed the tiles, the old adhesive was very crumbly, and when removed there was a gap of over 30mm down to the bricks of the windowsill.

Rather than trying to fill that gap with adhesive, I instead filled it with some mix in the tub mortar (about 25mm depth), which has been drying for 5 days now (at 20c and humidity of 50%).

I will be using Mapei Plaster Primer to prime before using Evo-Stik tile adhesive.

My reading of the instructions on the primer are that it should be used undiluted and that I should apply after 2 weeks of drying (on "cement:sand renders").

Just wondering how much I need to adhere to the 2 weeks, because this is the only shower in the house and so I would like to get the job done as soon as I can, but also want to make sure it is a decent job.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No need for primer - return it unopened.
The mortar is ready to tile.
Clean out the gaps and then fill with silicone - wipe smooth.
Clean off all mortar smudges.
Set your sill tiles with a little slope to shed water and prevent it from pooling.
You can grout the edges where the tiles butt or you can silicone them?

Many thanks tell80.

I'm going to get the tiles back in today.

Can I just ask why the primer is not needed? Is it because of the type of substrate or because the tiles are not hanging vertically?

Thanks again.

I do not understand the suggestion that you do not need to prime.

I am not a fan of premixed adhesives but the manufacturer does recommend sealing substrates. Bizarrely they recommend using their PVA.

https://diy.evo-stik.co.uk/sites/diy_evostik_uk/files/2019-11/TDS00376.pdf

Perhaps Tell80 can provide more info.

BTW, proper powder based adhesives do not become crumbly. They are cement based and not broken down by water ingress. The stuff in a tub becomes soft when it gets wet.

When tiling, I seal all plaster with (at a minimum) SBR. Unlike PVA, it doesn't emulsify when wet.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The area in question is a very small sill - no need for priming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back