Drying time for new tiles in shower cubicle

J

jonathen

Hi all,

I had a tile in the shower, which due to cracked/missing grout, allowed water to leak behind it - this spread to behind 20-odd tiles and the wall was soaked. I removed them (plus a row above for good measure) and allowed the walls (concrete) to dry out completely for 10 days by not using the shower and leaving windows open during the day and heating on at night.

Today a tiler has been around and tiled/grouted/siliconed the affected area and it's all looking very nice. However, he finished at 2pm and said I could commence using the shower again first thing tomorrow morning. That's 14 hours - he says that's plenty time for the grout and silicon to dry, but I'm a bit nervous about using the shower too early - it's cost me enough as it is. What would you recommend? Am I being over-cautious? Or should I wait 24 or 48 hours before using the shower?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
What adhesive did he use - powdered or pre-mixed? If powdered, you'll be fine tomorrow morning. If premixed, he should have grouted the following day really, so I would leave it longer. You don't say what size of tile? The larger the tile, the longer it'll take for the adhesive to go off properly. The fact he's grouted will lengthen this setting time.
If pre-mixed and large tiles (300mm x 300mm) leave it for a couple of days before using the shower.

Tiles are 200x200 but I don't know if he used premixed or powdered adhesive - powdered I think, but not certain. To be on the safe side then, I'll leave the shower till Wednesday.

Thanks

I've had 2 shower cubicles tiled in the last few months, both with 300 X 600 tiles. He used a powdered cement - based adhesive which set like, well, concrete, and wasn't a problem, but the grouts had a 2 week drying time according to the instructions on the bags.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back