Drylining/stud wall questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm installing some 50mm insulation board as part of some renovations that. Had looked at the laminated plasterboard, but need space for socket backboxes/cables etc. without compromising the insulation and vapour barrier.

I'll need to dry-line this, and also hang a 450x1400mm radiator on the wall.
Not sure of the radiator weight - I think it's probably > 50kg (bog standard Stelrad).

Am I best off using 2x4 timber and essentially building a stud wall, or will smaller battens do?
Or is there a better way of fixing the radiator brackets straight through to the stone, bearing in mind the sheer forces on long bolts?

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Your choice of stud thickness will really depend on how much insulation you want between them - ie whether you want to maintain a minimum thickness of insulation, or if you can accept slightly reduced insulation where your electrical fixtures are

For the radiator, you can either locate vertical studs or horizontal noggins where the brackets will be, or recess some plyboard into the frame and this will give you more leeway for fitting the radiator

2x2 battens will do if you want to/can use them

Thanks Woody.

It's going to be 50mm behind the studs to avoid any thermal bridging (so it's continuous across the wall) - also, BC are inspecting for part L. May well insulate insulate between them, too, though.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back