drywall joint advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm going to overboard my mums kitchen ceiling that has just had polystyrene tiles removed from it and its a bit of a mess.

I was going to use tapered edge plasterboard and the fibreglass self adhesive tape. From what I've read I should apply some easifill and then bed the tape into it, but they were talking about paper tape, but would I do this with the self adhesive tape as well or should I stick it on first?

Also I'm assuming its 9.5mm board? What length screws?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Just stick it straight on then fill.
As for screws, go for three times the thickness of the board

Sponsored Links
((KITCHEN)) fire board springs to mind even tho you dont get any burn time from it but id still use it.
T&G id use lafarge jointing compound
then 2 coats of blue hawk then power sand
as for tapes use scrim tape onto the board first then joint over the top
as for paper tape you are less likely to get cracks in the joints with this But if you have never done it before it can be a bit of a pig.

We are going over to paper tapes more and more on sites in London.
its just what thay want to see now tape and jointing or skimming!!!!!

I had a look at tapered edge plasterboard today in wickes and I notice that the tapered edge was only up the long sides not the short sides. the ceiling is longer than 2.4m so that means I will need to butt up against a square edge is that normal? Can you do drywall jointing like that?

no you can scrim butt joints or just paper tape the lot sorted.

OR even better why not skimm it youll get longer burn time too

i don;t want to skim as i'm a diyer and i'm doing this for my mum so low budget. i can handle the jointing but not plastering.

so if you can use scrim on the square edges of the board when you've put easifill on top does it not sit proud of the rest of the ceiling?

can't get any bigger than 8'x4' boards locally. can i just check do all tapered edge boards only have the tapered edge up the long sides only?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back