Drywall onto uneven plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to convert one of our rooms into a bathroom. I've had a few tradesmen round to take a look and offer quotes etc. It's all very doable with no unforeseen nasties (as of yet). The stack pipe and water services are all easily routable.

Naturally I would like to keep the costs down as much as I can. Currently the walls have plaster on them which has blown in a few places and is quite uneven. Would it be OK to fix drywall to this surface ready for tiling or (and this would be my preferred option) should I take the walls back to brick and fix drywall to that instead? Giving me a nice even surface and making me feel a little better about what's behind the walls when it's all done.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

David

Sponsored Links
As I thought. Thanks for confirming that.

Any tricks as to what to look out for when taking layers of plaster off? I have no idea what sort of depth I need to aim for. Will it be obvious when I reach the supporting structures? I guess I'll just take it slow and steady until I find what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

You never know what may have been installed in the walls, I have come across weird and wondful things buried in them.
Obviously you want to look out pipework (Gas, water and waste)
Then any electrical circuits or equipment.
There are rules where this should be but you must allow for the idiot factor.
I would recommend if it is unknown what is in the wall, that your safest option would be to isolate the supplies.

There will be plenty come off, so have rubble bags for waste. And don't forget PPE (Gloves, dust mask, googles) they are very important.
And also dust sheet area you need to protect.

Sponsored Links
Just to double check. Here is what I'm dealing with. I gather I'm taking everything off back to the stone. This is incredibly soft itself, perhaps limestone?

Thanks again

DSC_1467.JPG

Yes, knock it all back to brick/block/stone.
Yes it starting to fail, hard to say by pic exactly what material it is, but could well be a limestone rendered base-coat.

as PBD says that's the backing coat, take the whole lot off back to the brick, my guess is it will come of easily, but it will be dusty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back