Splashback around electrical back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -- thanks so much for this incredibly useful forum, it's saved me from so many problems as I try to fix my beat up old house ...

I'm about to start putting up a tile splashback in my kitchen, and I've got a couple questions. The fitters who put my units in installed some new electrical outlets and took out an old one; they left the back box in the wall and (as I requested, for reasons of money) didn't fix all the plaster, because in general that's the sort of thing I can fix pretty well myself. Can I take the back box out, patch the drywall there, and tile over? I'm wary about electrics and, as you can see from the photo, there are the ends of some wires at the top. Even though it's out of commission now, do I need to leave access for it? A little access panel would be kind of unsightly in the kitchen, so I'd prefer to cover it over if at all possible.

My other question is about the areas where new outlets have been installed. Can I patch the drywall there / sand it all down to get it level and tile over? I'm pretty handy in general, but new to tiling, so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 20180530_113247.jpg
    20180530_113247.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 20180530_113313.jpg
    20180530_113313.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 234
Sponsored Links
your saying the first photo is the redundant back box and the second photo is the new wiring? on the face of it you could pull the back box but
why not get the mods to transfer this to the elec forum for a more experienced answer?
if theres any chance of those redundant cables becoming live again then all bets are off.
cable runs in splashback areas must strictly follow the regs zones.

patching over for tiling is fine but remember that any device will have to come forward to the new finished surface or you will have to use box extenders

• That's great, thanks a lot for the advice -- I'll repost this where the electricians can have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back