Laminated kitchen splashback over existing tiles question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ,

I hope I am in the correct forum for this question , apologies if not .

I am currrently refitting the kitchen , new doors , plynths , worktops etc and have a question regarding the fitting of the laminated kitchen splashback .

Its bonded onto 6mm mdf and I was wondering if it is possible to fix it over the existing wall tiles to eliminate the need for removing all the tiles and making good the walls.
My questions are ;

Is this possible / good idea?

Has anyone done this before with success and if so what preparation did they do to the tiles (bonding , PVA etc.)

What adhesive (i.e. No Nails etc ) would you reccomend to fasten back the laminate splashback

Is there a trade method of getting the splashback adhering properly to the wall (tiled or not )

I will be fitting a laminated upstand to the worktops also ,will this be compromised by the double depth of wall tiles and splashback .

Many thanks in advance for any help given

Regards

Glenn

Sponsored Links
I dont understand what you intend? The danger might be finger-trapping the space behind the taps etc.
Why not post a photo of what you have?

Hi Vinn , sorry for the delay in responding to your question .
Basically if you imagine tiling over tiles , only I want to know if this is possible with the laminated splashbacks for the reasons listed above .

Regarding the finger trapping this is not an issue as the tap is a quarter turn monobloc mixer so the lever is at the front .

Hope this makes it clearer and many thanks for your reply .

If the tiles are secure and there are no damp issues then go ahead - use construction adhesive to fix, and white silicone to seal at the work top join and at the top edge of the laminate.

Sponsored Links
Hi Vinn ,

wow that was a quick reply !

Is construction adhesive diffeent to no nails ? ( apologies for my ignorance !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back