Tiling over a tiled kitchen splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I want to tile over my existing splashback in the kitchen. The area is 30cm by approx 110cm. It will be difficult to remove the tiles because of taps and a window. The existing tiles are firmly stuck to the wall and the tiles are small (75mm by 150mm). I know I have to degrease the tiles with suger soap and maybe score them as well. Is there anything else I need to know and what would be the best way to finish the double thickness at the top of the new splashback. The tiles are ceramic by the way.
Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You will probably run into difficulties at the window outside corners.

And, possibly, with finger space behind the taps.

Depending on the type of sink, & how its fitted, that too might create difficulties.

Any socket or switch plates will have to come forward to meet Part-P regs.

What you propose is doable but i would always remove the old tile.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I have no outside corners as window is flash to wall. No sockets on that wall and plenty of finger room for the taps. Have you any ideas on how to finish the top edge of the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Tile edgings strips or tile trim strips - there are various sizes and materials. google them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back