Newbie .. about to tile kitchen splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to try tiling a splashback, having only tiled once before (10+ years ago)

I've watched a few YT videos so think I know what to do, but there are so many brands of adhesive available, from well-known names to own brand names.

I'll be using 200 x 100 ceramic tiles and think ready mixed adhesive will be easier.

Which brands are good ?

Are there any brands to avoid ?

many thanks !

Sponsored Links
I always use powdered adhesive on porcelain tiles and ready mixed on ceramic. Just avoid the all in one grout and adhesive, dreadful stuff.

As above - I'd suggest that you as a DIY'er use powdered grout & adhesive in most circumstances.
Avoid all materials ready mixed in tubs.

The ready mixed adhesive they sell in trade outlets is top quality and ideal for smaller ceramics like yours.
Ultra Tile I find particularly good . Tile and bath co.
Avoid ready mixed grouts.

Sponsored Links
Have a metal splashback instead of tiles. They are much easier to clean.

Have a metal splashback instead of tiles. They are much easier to clean.
if you mean stainless steel. I beg to differ. they’re a nightmare to keep clean and streak free.

Put a grout sealer on after tiling, nothing worse than vindaloo stains in your grout:D

I had a bit of glass cut to size and glued it to the wall, quicker than tiling. Wasnt cheap though, probably about £250/m2!

I am going to be in this position soonish ... looks like I will be tiling my bathroom (unless I win the lottery beforehand).

I was planning to use ready mix adhesive (and will try to get some of the Ultra Tile GodWas mentions - is this a good option for bathroom tiles on tile backer board?) - Ultra Tile Fix ProSuper White Highly Flexible Acrylic Wall Tile Adhesive 15kg

What worries me is the grouting - sounds like it can easily go wrong and ruin your tiles if you don't work at the required speed.

I am going to be in this position soonish ... looks like I will be tiling my bathroom (unless I win the lottery beforehand).

I was planning to use ready mix adhesive (and will try to get some of the Ultra Tile GodWas mentions - is this a good option for bathroom tiles on tile backer board?) - Ultra Tile Fix ProSuper White Highly Flexible Acrylic Wall Tile Adhesive 15kg

What worries me is the grouting - sounds like it can easily go wrong and ruin your tiles if you don't work at the required speed.
you can’t use their tubbed adhesive on anything larger than 200-250mm square.
as for grouting , use the same make grout and buy a proper grout float and 2 tilers sponges. Tackle one wall at a time.
Find someone with an account, the adhesives trims and grout are miles cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back