Drywall screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm repairing a small area in a cloakroom, approx 30mmx350mm - do i need to buy a whole pack of drywall screws for the plasterboard patch or would standard screws be ok?

The patched area will be bonded and them then skimmed.

Ta

John

Sponsored Links
'Anything' won't do at all. If you are going to skim, steel screws will rust and neat little circles of plaster will pop off sometime later.
Proper drywall screws are non-rusting and make really good general purpose screws, well worth buying a bag of them. Watch out for the points, they are very sharp!

put some tape round your index finger and thumb,COZ THERE B'STARDS for getting metal splinters.

Sponsored Links
I just put them on the bit in my drill and just push them in the board then screw them in ,I usually set the torque on the drill (leccy screw driver) so it comes on when the screws head is sunk into the board...

Anything WILL do. Been doing this job for the past 35 years.

Nowt. But anything will do for a little patch. Never had an issue yet.

Have you ever tried to put a small piece of plasterboard up with bananas? ;) {Anything WILL do}..

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a bit of plasterboard work before and know the benefit of using drywally screws - but as i'd run out i was just wondering if i could get away with normal ones without another trip to screwfix!

But i got the right screws in the end, as it just feels right putting them through the board into the timber.

Ta

Also the shape of the head on drywall screws means that the screw easily sinks below the paper without breaking it.
You are right about not holding onto the threads, painful.

Tropicised screws are fine. They do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back