dual flush loo mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my water board round for free fitting of dual flush mechanism.

They said my cistern already had a dual flush (news to me) but it did not work as some part had rotted away leaving 2 small holes. Hence it always does a full flush. The guy said the holes needed to to be filled, but did not want to touch them for fear the age meant the whole mechanism would fail.

I honestly didn't really understand what he was saying or how this mechanism works so am now considering

a) filling these holes, but how/what with, to make the dual flush work?
b) replacing the whole mechanism given it seems to be past its natural life, but again, not sure how easy this is or how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Syphon (part that makes it flush) usually has one or two holes in the 'bell' section where the plunger lifts to start the flush. Syphon would have been supplied with plastic plugs, and it is the fitting or removal of these that makes a full or half flush. They're plastic and wont rot!

However, you have a plastic cistern of unknown vintage and these can be quite brittle. The guy who came round may have been (understandably) reluctant to touch the cistern for that reason. Danger of cistern cracking/splitting, especially with the rather rusty screws holding it to the wall.....

Half flush is usually only effective to wash the pan out after a number 1. Number 2's invariably require a full flush to clear the pan! :mrgreen:

The badge on the front says - I think - Fordham. It's not been Fordham for donkeys. Taken over by Derwent Macdee, then Polypipe Bathrooms And Kitchens, CME and now Wirquin.

I'd be looking to replace the cistern as a whole if it were me.

You do not need to remove the cistern of the wall to replace these syphons. It's a low level toilet.

He didn't replace it because it's not a standard syphon and he would need to order one to fit into your current cistern. A universal syphon will not fit.

Sponsored Links
You could always fit a flapper valve, if you want to risk it in a 20-odd year old plastic cistern.

Syphon (part that makes it flush) usually has one or two holes in the 'bell' section where the plunger lifts to start the flush. Syphon would have been supplied with plastic plugs, and it is the fitting or removal of these that makes a full or half flush. They're plastic and wont rot!

:mrgreen:
So you have to 'pre-set' for half/full flush by the number of plugs inserted? I though the whole idea was you could depress & release the flush lever for a number 1, and depress/hold for a (full flush) number 2?

You could always fit a flapper valve
????

So it sounds like
* do nothing or
* get plumber to replace whole cistern as syphon not replaceable or
* get plastic plugs and cross fingers (but this will just set syphon to full OR half flush - not an option for both..,?)

Removal of the plastic 'plug' leaves a hole in the side of the syphon. Basically, during flushing, when the water level drops below this hole it allows air in to break the syphonic action, providing a 'half flush'.

If a 'full flush' is required, the flush lever needs to be held down for the duration, until the cistern is emptied. Holding the lever down effectively blocks the air hole, preventing the air entering and breaking the syphonic action.

Removal of the plastic 'plug' leaves a hole in the side of the syphon. Basically, during flushing, when the water level drops below this hole it allows air in to break the syphonic action, providing a 'half flush'.

If a 'full flush' is required, the flush lever needs to be held down for the duration, until the cistern is emptied. Holding the lever down effectively blocks the air hole, preventing the air entering and breaking the syphonic action.
Thanks - that makes sense.

Except that if the holes are now open (as the guy says) then surely it should be half-flushing?

Not full flushing all the time irrespective of what I do with the handle?

You could always fit a flapper valve
????
605225_front200.jpg

You'd need the 507UKK071 so you could use the existing flush handle.

Update: so I've fitted a fluidmaster flapper. Says it's easy. Should be easy. Wasn't easy!

Now have dual flush and custom 'half' flush fully working...but...

On flushing I get a (tiny) drip from the pipe/pan connector. I'm guessing that in disconnecting/re-connecting the pipe to the cistern I strained or moved the other end of the pipe.

Should I disconnect & re-connect? And/or replace the connector (and if so what kind of connector is this?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back