Dual Fuel Cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having a dual fuel cooker delivered, we need some alterations to the electrics and the gas connecting.

Will I need a plumber and an electrician? Or will one normally do both?

I live in the west midlands so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
yes you need a GSR gas fitter and a Part P registered electrician.

several of us have both so just look around to find a local tradesmen with both qualifications

is it a dual-fuel cooker with a single electric oven, and a 13A plug fitted to the flex? If so you do not have to get an electrician, as it just plugs in like e.g. a kettle.

It may be neater, if you already have a cooker circuit, to have a 13A socket fitted behind the cooker, if you wish.

If you have a huge cooker with multiple electric ovens and grills that can be used at the same time, which requires more than a 13A supply, then it will need to go on a dedicated cooker circuit. The MCB or fuse may need to be altered if the current draw is significantly less than your old cooker.

As for the gas supply, do you already have a gas cooker outlet with a bayonet fitting for a flexible rubber gas hose? These are supposed to be able to be plugged in by the householder, but I believe gas fitters recommend they are professionally done so that they can check for leakage at the same time. If you do not already have a gas outlet in the correct position, you will certainly need a gas fitter.

Remember the cooker should have a safety chain holding it to the wall so that it cannot tip over if e.g. someone climbs onto the oven door.

Hi,

Our current cooker is all gas connected with a 13amp plug, the new one is a duel fuel double oven that needs to be hard wired.

There is a chain already in the wall. There is also a gas supply.

I think all that needs to be done is the current 13amp socket swapped for a terminal outlet box. There is a cooker control unit and 30amp circuit to the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back