Dual Fuel Oven - can only gas registered technicians service these now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Diplomat Dual Fuel Range oven - DF1100aDL which is having electrical glitches.
The Main Fan oven gets warm - but is about 40 degrees above the set temp, also is constantly warm (~40 deg C) unless the 'Auto' setting is engaged.

The Grill temp controller 1-8 only works on full.

I contacted a home appliance guy and he told me that only gas registered techs can do this now even though it is obviously electrical problems???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK - we have sourced a replacement cooker - similar dual fuel. Presumably same connections.
I have contacted a company to do a 'landlord gas safety check' and asked if they can connect up the replacement oven whilst they are there. The receptionist says legally they cannot install the oven unless it is new and has the instructions!

I have held off getting the landlord check done with them in case it turns out that they don't know what they are talking about!
At £90 for 3 appliances I would have thought swapping over connections would be a tiny part of that work? Am I wrong?

I have been led to believe that I could legally do it myself - but my wife has gone paranoid on it and insists that someone 'official' does it. (- I am a qualified mechanical engineer myself - and do things like this all the time at work :whistle: ) :mrgreen:

I have held off getting the landlord check done with them in case it turns out that they don't know what they are talking about!
At £90 for 3 appliances I would have thought swapping over connections would be a tiny part of that work? Am I wrong?

I have been led to believe that I could legally do it myself - but my wife has gone paranoid on it and insists that someone 'official' does it. (- I am a qualified mechanical engineer myself - and do things like this all the time at work :whistle: ) :mrgreen:

Receptionist is correct, any second hand gas appliance “should have the installation instructions” to be installed legally, especially when in rented accommodation. Which if multi-occupancy, then it would need flame supervision devices otherwise it can’t be installed.

You’re wrong about the “swapping over of connections” - not part of the work, as it isn’t just swapping over the connections, it’s installing that gas cooking appliance for the first time. A landlord safety check is just that, a safety check to ensure the correct operation of any appliance and flue it is connected to.

You could be classed as doing illegal gas work if you undertake this yourself. You could also be doing illegal gas work, whilst at work.

The receptionist says legally they cannot install the oven unless it is new and has the instructions!

If not new then one would have to ask from where was it sourced ( any guarantee ) and is it in safe working order.

quote from HERE
Under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 it is an offence to supply (and this includes hiring out) a used gas cooking appliance unless it complies with certain safety requirements. For example, the gas carrying component must prevent leaks of gas, the gas shut-off devices must work properly and safely, and surface temperatures must not be too high.

You could be classed as doing illegal gas work if you undertake this yourself. You could also be doing illegal gas work, whilst at work.
OK thanks...
And that is not quite what I meant - but I can see how you have interpreted what I said :D
I run engine dyno test cells. I do not do any mains electricity or gas connection work - but I do make connections and install test equipement, fuel connections, test gas analyser lines etc - which I would consider to be similar mechanically and the checks required for verification are similar I am sure...
But thanks again for your info. So if we download a copy of the install instructions then our Gas-Safe registered technician can do this job for us too?

If not new then one would have to ask from where was it sourced ( any guarantee ) and is it in safe working order.

quote from HERE
Under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 it is an offence to supply (and this includes hiring out) a used gas cooking appliance unless it complies with certain safety requirements. For example, the gas carrying component must prevent leaks of gas, the gas shut-off devices must work properly and safely, and surface temperatures must not be too high.

Thanks for your input... Was sourced from a cooker refurb company and has 4 month warranty...

So if we download a copy of the install instructions then our Gas-Safe registered technician can do this job for us too?

I can’t see any reason why not, unless there’s a safety issue, again if it’s a multi-occupancy dwelling, eg flats of any kind, then suitable flame supervision devices on all hotplates must be incorporated, if not then the appliance can not be installed.

Thanks for your input... Was sourced from a cooker refurb company and has 4 month warranty...

Why didn’t these provide you with instructions? I’m sure it’s a legal requirement.

Isn't this all getting a bit too contrived?

Is it proposed that all second hand gas appliance be thrown away?

Surely the appliance has only one gas pipe connection - so nothing magical nor fantastic.
It might even be a bayonet connection which Graphite can connect himself and then book a 'safety check'.

Is this the sort of thing (pictures seem few and far between)?

upload_2020-7-13_12-36-58.png

So, the hob is no different than any old stand alone cooker of the past.

It also has a plug on the electric cable - not sure if that is right.

Single occupancy - we haven't rented it out yet - just preparing... I don't know why my wife got the 2nd hand one at £800 when for another £250ish I think... she could have had a brand new one???

As for providing the instructions with the cooker I asked that. It would have been so much more professional to have included them with the package.

Old cooker - pretty similar to the one above - and yes connected with a bayonet connector - and last time it was checked it checked installed with an 'anti-tip' device - not quite sure with that weight how you would accidentally tip it over - and the gas man agreed - but apparently a legal requirement now ...
20200713_123023.jpg

New cooker...
20200713_123014.jpg

The current oven was connected in by a certified electrician and has its own 32A MCB on the consumer unit.

Last edited:
Is it proposed that all second hand gas appliance be thrown away?

No it isn’t, only that they be installed with manufacturers instructions, with the provision that they have flame supervision devices for multi-occupancy dwellings and installed by a competent person.

Looks like Rangemaster still produce the instructions for this model, so might be all good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back