Dual fuel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had one of these installed with my new bathroom but when I tried to use the electric element to heat the radiator it started leaking. I closed both valves before switching on the element but some time later found the floor flooded. The plumber said I should have only closed one valve and that I had broken the seals! Is this right? I received no operating instructions for the radiator and would like to know exactly what I should be doing!

Sponsored Links
The water in your radiator increases in volume as it heats up and so needs somewhere to go.
You usually keep one valve open to allow for the expansion.

Otherwise it can become like a pressure cooker with no vent.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. Would closing the valves have caused the seals to break? The leak seemed to begin before I'd even switched the element on! My central heating system is run by a Combi boiler and I thought that was a pressurised system anyway. Does it make any difference which valve to turn off? Not sure which is which anyway!

If your radiator is switched off at both valves then it becomes completely sealed off from your central heating system and becomes an isolated quantity of water. When the electric element goes on the water heats up. When water heats it expands and pressure builds. If the water were to boil due to the electric element being faulty then this rad has no safety device and could explode.

When I have fitted these I always open one valve on the rad and make sure it is not possible for a customer to turn it off (drill out the hole that fits the handle on the cartridge so it "spins" is one way).

The last one I fitted had instructions that stated never to have valves at either end that can both be closed by the customer.

What is likely is that the element heated the water, pressure increased, something leaked.

What has leaked? Nothing should leak easily? Maybe the slight increase in pressure has found a poorly fitted valve?

In my opinion a plumber should never fit anything with taps - and then say "it's your fault you turned a tap the wrong way". Especially if there is a safety issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Pete. Would closing the valves have caused the seals to break?

Who knows? It is very possible it just leaked anyway. What seals is he talking about? Everything should stand a fair bit of pressure.

Does it make any difference which valve to turn off?

No, either will do.

Not sure which is which anyway!

Clockwise is closed. Anti is open.

He should really dash back and sort it out for you. He fitted it and it leaked. You did nothing one could reprimand a householder for.

Have been away and not able to reply until now. Thanks for the advice given. Unfortunately the installer is still claiming that I broke the seals and that it is my fault and I will have to pay. As I have only had this bathroom for 18 months I am naturally not happy about this! But once again thanks for taking the time to leave your comments - much appreciated!

Heating a sealed container of water will invariably cause a small rupture/explosion if there is no air inside. I was taught this at primary school.

Something will give and it could have split the radiator open, you were lucky it was the valves.

I think the blame will lie with whoever shut the valves, the installer should have forewarned you but that does not necessarily make him responsible for you altering the system.

If you shut both valves on the other radiators it would affect the balance of the system when they were reopened - would you expect him to remedy that for nothing too?

Surely the dual fuel rad should have had no radiator valve at all on the return just a 1/2" x 15mm adaptor to undeerneath the floorboards where a balance valve would be fitted to stop customer interference?

That would be a bit of a job with these reinforced concrete floors.

true but an alternative would be a trv on the flow and 6/8/10mm on the return to "balance" the flow without a closeable valve?

Even a 6 mm reducer would still give far too much flow on the average towel rail as they are only about 300 400 watt; that would be roughly the equivalent of leaving an average radiator directly connected to 15 mm. Don't forget that the actual opening of a valve is only about 7 - 8 mm.

Heating a sealed container of water will invariably cause a small rupture/explosion if there is no air inside. I was taught this at primary school.

Yes I am aware of this but as lay person I tend to listen to what the "experts" tell me and I was told initially by the installer to shut off both valves.

Something will give and it could have split the radiator open, you were lucky it was the valves.

Just how much does water expand anyway - it was not boiling!
Also, there is no leakage when the valves are open, only when I close one or both of them - why is this?

I think the blame will lie with whoever shut the valves, the installer should have forewarned you but that does not necessarily make him responsible for you altering the system.

Well yes, I did shut the valves as I was told it could damage the electric element if I didn't.

If you shut both valves on the other radiators it would affect the balance of the system when they were reopened - would you expect him to remedy that for nothing too?

It is not possible for me to close both valves on any of my other radiators.

Yes I am aware of this but as lay person I tend to listen to what the "experts" tell me and I was told initially by the installer to shut off both valves.

Just how much does water expand anyway - it was not boiling!
Also, there is no leakage when the valves are open, only when I close one or both of them - why is this?

Well yes, I did shut the valves as I was told it could damage the electric element if I didn't.

It is not possible for me to close both valves on any of my other radiators.
It sounds like the first installer was a lot better than the second, who fitted at least one wrong valve, and gave you the wrong advice on how to use it. Leaving both valves open would not have damaged anything, whilst shutting them both could have lead to an explosion.

Interesting to read all the other comments. Apologies for last post - not quite sure how replies are formatted. All in all I guess I am just disappointed that I have a dual fuel radiator, which I have never been able to use in summer. If it really is my fault that the "seals" (whatever they are!) are broken then I will just have to pay and be happy. I would just like to have an independent view on exactly what has happened and also know the correct procedure for future use. For example, does it matter which valve is turned off before switching on the element? And how would I know the difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back