Dual zone central heating issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 2 year old Redrow house with a 2 zone central heating system. Ideal boiler with ESI programmer / thermostats. For some reason the zone 1 heating has stopped working. When I turn it on the boiler is not getting a demand signal. Zone 2 works fine and so does the hot water.

I have tried swapping the thermostats between zone 1 and zone 2 with no success.

I am sure I will probably need to call someone out, but I have fixed simple things with boilers before such as switches and sensor so thought I would ask in case it is something I can do.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
That make sense actually, the last time it worked, the heating came on lukewarm then nothing, perhaps the valve failed to open fully now not at all?

I wonder if I could test that by swapping the wiring between the zone 1 and zone 2 valves, turn zone 1 on and see if it will put the heating on zone 2?

no need to , the valve on the suspect zone like the other zone will have a manual by pass lever on it, open it and lock it and put the other zone on and if both heat up you have identified the problem

Sponsored Links
Yeah valve has gone, ordered a new one, nice cheap fix. Thanks for the advice!

Isn't the heating system covered by the 10 year warranty on the house? After all, it's only two years old and MVs normally last much longer than that - unless they are cheap crap, which wouldn't surprise me as Redrow will employ the cheapest heating contractor they can find.

I think the 10 year warranty is only structural stuff. Things like the boiler are just covered with the usual manufacturer warranty. The ESI valve that failed is covered for 3 years I think looking on their website, but a replacement was so cheap it's not worth the hassle submitting a warranty claim. If it was something more expensive I definitely would!

The NHBC warranty/insurance covers more than just the structure It also covers:

The electrical fixed-wiring and fixed-lighting system, heating system, air-conditioning system, smoke alarms, waste-disposal unit, water-softening equipment, and any other mechanical and electrical equipment needed to meet the Building Regulations that was newly installed in the home, by the builder at the completion date and that is for your use only.

The first two years the builder is responsible; years three to 10 are covered by the NHBC Insurance Policy.

Ahh yeah I just checked the policy booklet and it does have that sentence in. But the minimum claim value is £1,650! I guess it's good to keep in mind though in case the boiler packs up completely or something and needs replacing. That would be handy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back