Dull ceiling lights - is it the switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A beginner so please bear with me!

we have a electrical loop system with the light circuit running from ceiling rose to ceiling rose. We've managed to install 2 halogen downlights (50w bulbs) in the bathroom in addition to the main central light by using a junction box. All this appears to work fine, however the lighting is extremely dim so we're guessing it might have something to do with the ceiling switch. At the moment we have a 5Amp ceiling switch, is it just a case of getting an increased amp switch (i.e. 6AMP) or something else?

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can you provide a diagram showing how the switch, junction box & 3 lights have been wired?

I think this is correct but off the top of my head I can't be completely sure. I will check when I return home but I've tried to draw it anyway. The spotlights are (50W;240V); Main Celing Rose light [CR] (60W; 240V) - all connected into a junction box which then is connected to the ceiling switch [switch] (5Amp). There are also connections running in/ out of the bathroom ceiling rose from the kitchen and hallway ceiling lights (looping system). I hope this makes sense!!

Thanks

[KITCHEN] [HALLWAY]
\ /
\ /
[CR]
| | |
| | |
[JUNCTION BOX]
|
|
[switch]

It's a bit confusing and the junction box bit looks a little suspect, although it might just be the drawing.

If I understand correctly, you have added two spots (S) in the bathroom that will come on when you switch on the main light (CR)?

Is it possible you have connected the new lamps in series rather than parallel, so that they are only getting about 115V or even 76V each?

I would have expected to see wires extending from the lamp connectors in the CR to the first S and then again from the first S to the second. rather than being taken from the switch.

There is an example of the wiring diagram in the reference section of this forum.

Sponsored Links
Pound to a penny the new lights have been wired in series.

Maxine, the 5A rating of the switch is how much current it can safely handle, it does not regulate the supply of current at all.

i would agree lights are in series, not paralell, have a look in the for refernce section, it shows how it should be done.

one other thing you may have wired it in paralell, but have a loose connection making them into series

Thanks for all your help, it appears we originally did wire it correctly but then changed it to the current set-up which as you have all mentioned is incorrect. We tried to get the lights working last night and would you believe the new switch broke and wouldn't switch off!! We will get there in the end!!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back