Dulux Bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I painted my bathroom wall with Dulux Bathroom paint (soft sheen). We had a new suite fitted and tiling done so I wiped down some of the tile adhesive that went onto the wall but some areas needed touching up with paint. However now the paint is dry it's a different shade to the rest of the wall?!?!?! I have attached a picture and marked where I have painted. I have also touched up other areas but this is the biggest and clearest bit. Does it need more time to dry (I painted it yesterday), what do I do?

I've never had this problem when touching up with Dulux off the shelf Matt paint.

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Several Factors are involved, did you use the original tin of paint, was it stirred well, how long ago was the wall originally painted before you touched in the damaged area it is a soft sheen rather than a Matt Finish, how was the paint applied original coat/touch up (Brush Roller ??)

I suggest you repaint the complete wall with one even coat, if it worries you.

Several Factors are involved, did you use the original tin of paint, was it stirred well, how long ago was the wall originally painted before you touched in the damaged area it is a soft sheen rather than a Matt Finish, how was the paint applied original coat/touch up (Brush Roller ??)

I suggest you repaint the complete wall with one even coat, if it worries you.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I used the original tin of paint.
I stirred it thoroughly before I used it.
I painted the wall about 3 weeks ago before I touched up the areas yesterday.
The paint is a soft sheen.
The previous coat was done with a roller but I then used a brush for the edges. When I touched up the areas I just used a brush.

If the solution is to repaint the wall then I may actually leave it then. It's a bit awkward now because we've had a towel warmer fitted onto that wall! I planned to paint the wall before the towel warmer was fitted. Ah well I may leave it and see how I feel :)

Phil

A brush will give a different effect particularly on soft sheen and silk because it reflects light differently. Bear in mind that with colour in a sense it is not in fact the colour you see but the light waves the surface reflects.
Use a mini roller of the same type (foam, microfibre woven) as your big one and feather into the rest of the wall.
Where you cut into a corner with a brush is less noticeable than on a blank wall, you may even have used a different type of brush.

Sponsored Links
A brush will give a different effect particularly on soft sheen and silk because it reflects light differently. Bear in mind that with colour in a sense it is not in fact the colour you see but the light waves the surface reflects.
Use a mini roller of the same type (foam, microfibre woven) as your big one and feather into the rest of the wall.
Where you cut into a corner with a brush is less noticeable than on a blank wall, you may even have used a different type of brush.

Right, I may try a roller and see what happens. I did actually use a different brush to what I painted with first time round.

Phil

Soft sheens and silks are renown for this. They tend to flash on the surface and show a different shade. You dont tend to get this with matt.
As Bosswhite suggests, better to do all the wall complete again.

There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that there is a problem with Dulux mixers, soft sheens, currently manifesting into something which will become increasingly public as more & more people experience problems & stick them on the internet........only then will they openly admit the paint is to blame (bit like their gloss fiasco).

Start by sticking your problem on their facebook page, though initially they will blame a)your walls then b)your painting technique.

A third rate product trading on an outdated decent reputation. They do actually have pretty good customer service skills, but that's no consolation if you keep having to repaint whole rooms!

Take this up with Dulux.

Agree with the post above.

In my experience Dulux Kitchen/Bathroom paint is an overpriced gimmick anyway.

If you're worried about condensation/mould, use Zinsser Permawhite (which can be tinted to most pastel shades). Much better stuff.

If condensation is not a problem, just use Dulux Trade matt vinyl, or even better, Little Greene Intelligent Emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back