Dulux matt blistering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 months ago I repainted my kitchen with Dulux matt Natural wicker.
A couple of days ago I noticed what I thought was water on the wall above the radiator / below window.
Picked up a cloth, gave it a quick wipe..... Paint has come off!!
In another area I just dabbed with a tissue and that has left little pin-pricks / blisters?
The walls are lined and the previous paint was also matt.
I often put washing on this radiator and it has been on recently (steam?)
But this has not happened on other paint above rads in the house.

any help appreciated... cheers.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Blistering is normally caused by moisture from underneath the paint film not on top. You should have a look at the outside of the wall and see if there is any signs of dampness.

No signs of damp outside.

Excuse my naivety, but if it is moisture from underneath. Why would it be affecting just the new paint and not the old as well??

You're steam stripping your paint off the wall. None of it looks any good.

If you continue with the wasing on the rad (steam stripping) you will also strip the lining.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should stop airing clothes on the rad, this is not good practice when a matt emulsion has been applied. Also kitchen walls are prone to be contaminated with grease this could also be a factor as to why your system has failed.

Looking at the pics it appears that the paint has been applied to thickly this in itself can lead to premature breakdown, I think that you need to sand back taking care not to damage the lining paper and apply a coat of thinned oil based undercoat. When dry do any face filling that may be required sand smooth and spot mist the filled areas, then you should be ok to continue.

Dec

Basically it is the wrong paint for a tough environment.

Joe is right it is not the ideal choice, if you really want a matt finish go with Dulux Trade Diamond Matt, or eggshell. the latter provides a very low sheen level and are ideal in your situation.

Dec

many thanks for the replies.

With regards the paint being applied too thickly, honestly, thats not the case. (2 coats both watered down approx 10% to help it move)

The texture that makes it look like that is underneath the lining paper. Like someones done a quick lining job over a dodgy wall.

RE: Diamond matt, Read some horror stories about it on here (+ other forums) Paint picking up after cutting in?

Again thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back