Dulux trade pro advice.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been painting 2 large wardrobe doors and 1 cupboard door and the colour needed to be black.

I did not want a really glossy look, as you have to be so careful with black.

A mild sheen would have been fine, anyway back to it!

well the paint I have used is Crap... it goes on ok but as soon as you touch it ( even after leaving it to dry for a month!) it marks, just tap it with your nail and it marks. I was given Eggshell quick drying water based (diamond my ass) yes it says masonry and wood, but I really don't think its good for wood at all. I even tried in a small area some polyvine decorators varnish, over the top to give it a nice seal, I have used this before on water based emulsion to good effect, but it was not black. on black it gave a milky bloom after a few days and was not good.

So please can you tell me my options in the colour black (not glossy) that will not mark really easy, I have seen oil based eggshell can be mixed in black, would this be a good option for black, if not what else in the range is there please.

All the best

Darren

Sponsored Links
I'd go for eggshell every time - easy application, (relatively) quick drying, low(ish) odour, nice soft sheen finish and hard wearing.

I wonder if you put it on too thick, and if the undercoat was fully hardened.

The reason its gone like that is because you have used water based over oil based.

What was on the doors before?

Sponsored Links
hello, you say go for eggshell... i did water based though! you are saying oil based?

I am glad you replied Z, One of the doors is MDF and the other is wood. the mdf was sealed with a water based primer/sealer. them painted with the quick drying water based eggshell.

would you say just go for the oil based eggshell that they do in black. I note that satinwood can also be purchased in black. what to go for?

I don't like the durability on wood with the quick drying, it seems OK on a bit of plaster I tested it on..... it all used up now so what next please

Darren

Thats surprised me...the water based eggshell should have stuck fine over that primer.

As JohnD said...did you put it one too thick..this surely could be the only cause now.

I had the felling you had put it over an old gloss finish..I did the same once, disasterous!!.

Both finishes should be durable..oil and water based..but not all the 'action' is going on between your primer coat and the first coat of Water based.

You culd put twenty coat over it but the first coat will still come off te primer..

Is there any way you can remove it?...try sticking non ow tack msking tape over it and pulling it off the following day...it might work...then remove the rest by sanding and starting again.

Thank you, I don't think I have explained it right, sorry. the paint is sticking like glue! it does not chip off or anything.. Its just it marks very easy, as its black. I was thinking the oil based would be tougher, and not mark as easy.

Darren

soft, markable paint which is not "wet" is likely to be if it was applied too thick or over a not-cured undercoat. the paint seems to form a cured skin, but is soft underneath. It may even wrinkle. sometimes if you scrape it with a sharp knife you can see the layers. It is horrible to clean off.

Paint hardens by oxidising through contact with the air, not just by evaporation of the solvent (there are exceptions in some coatings).

Some alternative causes, of reacting with something in the substrate, or being mixed wrong, or having too much tint added, do not seem to be the cause here. Black is a common colour, so I presume you bought a ready-made off-the-shelf paint by a good maker, and stirred it well.

yes John like in my first post its Dulux trade Diamond hard..... its not lets start again..its not soft and does not peel, its just marks a little easy, not many people use black, and I want a matt or a soft satinish at most but not gloss. I tried the polyvine to give it a little more protection, but as its black, and you have to have used this stuff to know what I am saying, it went a little milky... polyvine can do this on dark colours, and I did put it on very thin as well.

Zampa a while back on a post talked about a clearcoat, but when I looked for this they only sold it in massive 5L and it was very pricy... I dont know over black that may go a little milky? I have never used the stuff, I cant rem what its called... what clear coat can give my black wood a little more protection and is not glossy... and you dont have to purchase 5l

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back