Dulux Weathershield Exterior Satin Pros and Cons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am considering painting my two garage doors, one metal and one wood, with Dulux Weathershield Exterior Satin and wondered if anyone having used this paint before could offer some advice on any possible pros and cons?

From what I have seen already it seems very easy to apply, covers well and dries quickly.

However it seems very difficult to remove, which is probably why it gives such good protection. If you use a heat gun on the paint it simply melts into a sticky goo and it's tough so sanding it off would be very slow.

So if you use Weathershield and want to redecorate again in the future, would the only option be to paint over the existing surfaces using weathershield again?

Thanks for any advice
Robin

Sponsored Links
The satin weathershield is waterbased. That is why it is difficult to remove with a heat gun. Heat guns work best when trying to remove oil based paint.

Waterbased paints tend to be much softer than oil based paints (when fully cured). They are much more difficult to sand because the heat from the sanding makes them slightly rubbery.

Personally, I am not a fan of exterior waterbased wood finishes. I stick to the Dulux Trade Weathershield oil based gloss.

I would advise against trying to use the satin on very hot sunny days. It will start drying as you are trying to apply it. If you need to do it on a hot day, use some Floetrol paint additive to help you maintain a wet edge. Additionally invest in some decent synthetic brushes, traditional hog's hair brushes swell when used with waterbased paints

Thanks opps I've learned something about water based now - never thought about sanding causing rubbery paint . Now where did I put that tin of Magnet?;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige.

I am currently repainting a hallway. The client mentioned that it was last painted with Farrow and Ball eggshell about 5 years ago. I silently groaned (F&B eggshell has been water based for years).

Over the years I have amassed a total of 6 different Festool sanders, each of them struggles to to get a flat finish on the woodwork. The badly applied waterbased eggshell is taking in excess of 4 times longer to sand than badly applied oil based paint.

Fortunately I am doing the job on day work. Unfortunately, achieving the quality of finish that the client wants has thus far cost £14K in my labour costs. They are happy, I am so embarrassed that I have waived the cost of all of the materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back