Dumb question re self levelling compound?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This feels like a dumb question but I’ll ask it nonetheless. I’m looking to lay Ardex K39 self levelling compound soon and have my head around everything except one bit, and that’s probably the most important thing

When you pour it and use the screed to float it out smooth, how do you know it’s thick enough or not too thick? I get I could float a particular amount out too far and I’d see the floor through the compound but how do you know if it’s too thick or thin? Or is this stuff super clever and somehow finds it’s own thickness once mixed correctly?

Any comments insights gratefully received!

Rgds
Mark

Sponsored Links
If it’s mixed right and you spread it out well, like a plasterer does on the skim coat, gravity will do the rest.

Make sure it's not too thick.
I found that manufacturer instructions are usually spot on.
If I need an extra couple of minutes workability i just add a little bit more water, little bit!

Sponsored Links
Is the question how to ensure the surface of the self levelling compound levels out with the correct depth above the highest point of the area to be covered ?

If so then you could find the highest point, the hang a marker above the highest point and pour compound until it reaches the marker.
upload_2021-8-30_10-38-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-30_10-35-19.png
    upload_2021-8-30_10-35-19.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 86

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back