Dumping waste in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While digging the garden of my new house, it became apparent that the previous owner, who can only be described as an asshat, had a dilemma when refurbishing the bathroom. As it turns out, when wondering how to dispose of the old cold water tank, some old tiles, a load of plastic sheeting, a plastic bucket, the kids scooter and a whole shed load of broken glass, he decided that the best course of action was to bury it all in the garden.

I'll try to spare you all the ranting and, incidentally, I'm sure the man in question has actually, in fact, met his father...

My question is: Is it actually legal to use your own garden as a landfill site?

Sponsored Links
It's legal to bury your own possessions (and, subject to certain criteria such as proximity to watercourses, and registering the death first, your granny) in your garden.

Perhaps he just left the stuff in the garden and the garden grew over it?

The chodder who lived at my smallholding prior to reposession did the same at ours. Big spoil tip of building materials.

I used this know this guy and he used to dig big holes and fill it with everything like old mattresses to old tvs. You could bounce round his garden it was that bad.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour filled in his air raid shelter with a car!

I suppose if one paid a lot of money for a car, it would be most irksome if it were to be blown up.

Don't most builders dump shed loads of rubble under an inch of top soil in the gardens of most new builds rather than take it away? oh and under the floors too

Don't most builders dump shed loads of rubble under an inch of top soil in the gardens of most new builds rather than take it away? oh and under the floors too

That's exactly what Barrets did at my house. I discovered this when I dug some holes to plant roses and immediately dug out a load of broken house bricks, nails and other such debris - Also explains why my front lawn was so rubbish. I had to get the entire front lawn area excavated and taken away in skips. I then replaced it with decent topsoil.

Luckily I've got concrete floors, so if there is rubble under there I can't see it.

I found a stack of glass panes. I had put the spade through them. I now get ready cut chips.

The previous tenant of my house installed a sophisticated burglar deterant in the garden.

They recycled their beer bottles by pushing them neck down into the soil and then smashing the bottoms off.

...come to think of it, it was a deterant for anyone to go in the garden - not just burglars!!! I had to dig out at least 75 bottle necks when I moved in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back