Decking or Patio

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As soon as I get the house sorted I need to get the garden sorted by next summer - I've been told!

At the moment we have a 2m strip of artificial grass running across the back over some compacted sand (I put it down after extension was built), then a large rockery area with gravel patio to the side (I did the gravel too, and soakaway is buried under it), then a messy bit of garden with some stumps.

The garden slopes upwards, but not too much. Ideally, I'd have a huge patio that makes it all look stunning. But I am not a builder, not superfit and have never laid paving slabs ...

So maybe a good old fashioned decking that is level with the kitchen and lounge French doors? A friend has a great bit of decking and this is what inspired me. It is south facing so moss and slime should not be too much of a problem.

But am I likely to regret it in 10 years when I'm 55 and even less able to build a huge patio ...?

Digging out some picks (see what I did there?)
My CCTV gives the best shot!

Screenshot_20190729-132951.png

I suspect that there is a lot of rubble buried under the rockery. The rocks are invisible now too! I looks nice enough in the picture, but we are not really making the most of the long garden:

View from the lounge French door:

IMG_20190725_204222656_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I guess ideally I'd like something like this ...
nowak_landscape_patio_28.jpg

This would be cool
maxresdefault.jpg

Decking could be more like this;
151073_572519-1_IMG_17_0000_max_656x437.JPG

Decking might be easier for me - easier to handle, and I've rebuilt some of our suspended wooden floors, so have some skills there. But there is the long-term rot problem ... although I do have a wood treatment sprayer and understand the importance of good ventilation now!

Oh, reason for planning now is that I'm probably going to have to get a skip to take away a load of broken concrete path and soil from the side of the house (causing damp issues) so might as well start digging out some of the rockery / rubble pile.

It is not all bad now, I like it actually. But SWMBO wants it better. Me enjoying the garden last summer.
IMG_20190703_184033992_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ive been to loads of houses with decking -and I really dont think its a good option for our damp climate.
They can be lethal when wet, like an ice rink.

It was a fashion that has spread from Australia and the US.

I know a landscape company that refuses to lay timber decking -they will do decks, but only in plastic, which is super expensive.

My mates decking reminded me of cruise holidays when I was a kid, it was that big!
So, what is the minimum for a patio, to dig out, hard core, sand/cement?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I know too. But I don't want the standard advice of how to make the perfect patio that you could park a bus on, but how to make one that will be OK for a while!

But maybe I will do it "properly".

Decking absolutely fine if you put a gazebo over it to keep the rain off. I made this using 9" x 2" shuttering boards and 5" x 4" posts. Whole thing including concrete foundation blocks, ply, felt and stain cost £350. It's absolutely rock solid.

I've since added trellis to the bottom half with honeysuckle, clematis and star jasmine. Thought about a bar in the corner too but we don't get the weather like the rest of the world does!

IMG_2287.JPG

On my last house I created a large patio with decking. It was approximately 5*8 meters. It looked great. The problem was winter. It was a death trap and unfortunately I needed to walk on it to get to different parts of the house. Long term, I would go for slabs/brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back