Duravit toilet cistern connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the correct part(s)/method to make mains water connection on my new Duravit toilet cistern? The connector sticking out of the bottom of the cistern has an outside diameter of 16.5mm (outer diamter of threads) this seems to be a bit smaller than the other toilet in my house. I am guessing that this is some sort of european thingy. The inside of the cistern has a load of Gerberit stuff inside with a shiny flexible pipe running from the gerberit stuff. It's the end of the shiny flexible pipe that has the funny connector. Hopefully there is a standard connector I can buy for this to get me across to 15mm pipes?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Steve - you'll probably also need a short length of 3/8" copper pipe (maybe 60mm) to make the interface between the reducer on the end of the 15mm pipe and the gland within the cistern connector. Trouble is the sheds sell 3/8" in long length rolls so go to your local plumbers merchant and get a short length there (they'll maybe have a minimum of 1M).

a short length of 3/8" copper pipe
3/8"? Not for 40 years. 12mm, maybe. But why?

to make the interface between the reducer on the end of the 15mm pipe and the gland within the cistern connector.
What gland? He's trying to connect a 3/8" inlet valve (BSP thread) to a - presumably - 15mm x 1/2" female adaptor/tap connector/flexi.

A picture of this "shiny flexible pipe" from the OP might be useful.

Apologies ... typo - should be 8mm not 3/8".

Ok, there'll be a chrome braided connector within the cistern (this is the OP's shinny pipe) which terminates through the base. In the cistern pack will be a plakka bag containing a chromed nut, a bronze shim washer and an O ring whose internal dia is 8mm. The issue is to make the interface between here and the existing 15mm supply pipe, so a short length of 8mm tube is required to go into the connector (chrome nut/O ring/bronze washer combo). How this 8 mm tube is interfaced with the supply might (will) be governed by the pan being 'closed in' so offering little scope for easy access to make the connections to the cistern (and for that matter to the soil pipe spigot). The use of a long length braided connector (8mm/15mm) solves the supply issue as the connection can be made with the whole unit forward of the wall and then slid back into final position. Obviously, a 'dry fit' of the pan to the soil spigot is initially needed (before the supply tasks above) so that later coupling can be guaranteed when the whole unit is slid back and finally fixed in place.

Not sure where you are getting 8mm from.
The OP says he has a thread that's 16.5mm OD sticking out from the bottom of the cistern. That's almost certainly 3/8" BSP.

Steve - have you found that small plakka bag containing the chrome nut, bronze shim and rubber O ring? Printed on the outside of this bag are the instructions of how to fit, complete with diagrams. Take care when opening this plakka bag as you may destroy the the printing if ripped open.

Charn - I've just fitted 2 Duravit bogs in my house. The 3/8" BSP domed chrome nut has an 8mm hole through which an 8mm copper tube (tail) is inserted, then on the inside of the nut the bronze washer is slipped over the 8mm tail and then the rubber O ring (clearly, the washer is there to bear on the O ring to ensure it beds on the chamfer within the fitting and to prevent it being damaged by the rotating nut). The chrome nut assembly is then screwed onto the filling tail which emerges from the base of the cistern.

How you connect this 8mm tail to the supply depends on the existing supply arrangements. I had 15mm copper pipe emerging from the floors so at floor level I fitted isolation elbows ... I used these instead of straight isolations as going up would have fouled with the inside of the pan ... the elbows chucked the flexy I used clear of the ceramic innards. I used 600mm stainless flexies to bridge the gap from isolators to cistern - these were snaked under, around and up past the pan spigots. At the top end of the flexy I inserted 15 x 8 reducing set to pick-up the 8mm copper tail; I couldn't source a 15 x 8 flexy where I am so had to use the reduce set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back