Durgo Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me it it's OK to box in a durgo valve? I know some folks do it but I'm a bit concerned that boxing-in might affect the in-flow of air. Are there any rules about this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The durgo valve replaces the soil stack and cannot and should not be concealed. The idea is that it is always vented and able to be in the open. it is importand that the filters are maintained and bushes,etc are kept clear from it.

Can anyone tell me it it's OK to box in a durgo valve? I know some folks do it but I'm a bit concerned that boxing-in might affect the in-flow of air. Are there any rules about this?

Many thanks

Thanks for your response, stonemason. You've thrown me a bit though, by talking about bushes. I'm planning on locating the stack and valve indoors as I understand that's where it is intended to go. Do people put them outside then?

The durgo valve would normally be fitted inside due to the problems of frost which then stops the valve working. depending on the climate, etc they are now starting to be used outdoors.
Regarding them being inside it is important that nothing covers the valve.
sorry if this was confusing.
Check out type H approval on the internet which will give a clear picture.
Generally they are used for properties up to 1st and 2nd floor but can be a problem on high rise and taller that 2 floor properties

Sponsored Links
The durgo valve replaces the soil stack and cannot and should not be concealed. The idea is that it is always vented and able to be in the open. it is importand that the filters are maintained and bushes,etc are kept clear from it.

What :eek: :eek:

Yes you can box it in, but the boxing must be vented, and the valve accessible for maintenance in 20 years time.

And no, they are not designed to go outside, and if in the roof space or subjected to frost conditions you must use the special cap that comes with it.

They are not for replacing the SVP, and in most cases it would be wrong to do so, they are for additional ventilation, e.g. stub stacks and long pipe runs.

Why 20 years? . Just cuz you`re in Bath you think you`ve been plumbing since the Romans left ;)

Thanks for the advice. Just one other thing: I'm wanting to replace a durgo valve that was put in many years ago, because it sometimes doesn't close properly. I see that they range in price from about £15 to £40. Should I opt for the more expensive one, do you think? Is it a question of 'you get what you pay for'?
Thanks

I have never seen a Durgo go wrong yet, maybe a good clean or something.

Please stop calling them durgo valve,s. They are all air admittance valves, be it the pat3sons valve or the polypipe valve or the floplast valve or the studor valve or the durgo valve. they all do a similar job.
Its like calling a dyson or a electolux a Hoover. They are all vacuum cleaners and all do a similar job. I have found the pat3sons is by far the best and easiest to use, it just push fits straight onto the soil pipe and is no bigger in diameter than a push fit soil fitting. Check out ebay.
AAV,s can be boxed in as long as the box has vents in it, Wether they are slots or a mesh, the inlet area should be at least 16 square inches or more to allow air in to reach the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back