Dwarf Walls - Suspended Wooden Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've just registered but been a lurker for ages.

I'm just in the process of doing up a circa 1860 terraced house, when purchased I knew the floors would need some attention, so no big shock so far lol

I have lifted the floor boards on the ground floor and its not in the best shape to be honest, they have used 3 x 2s cut in to the wall one end and resting on a dwarf wall the other side. and then 3 x 2s again at 90 degree to them at 400 centers.

What I would like to do is replace these with 6 x 2s or 7 x 2s using a honeycomb dwarf wall at either end, the current surface is just dry dirt and not a concrete base.

How deep should I do the strip footings for the dwarf walls? they will only be about 200 above the ground at the most.

I was thinking footing honeycomb brick course, solid brick course, damp proof and wooden plate.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sponsored Links
depth really isn't that important. Why not scrape some of the upper loose dirt away, and bed a line of dense concrete blocks down on some mortar, and build your bricks up off that.

If you are using deeper joists, then do you need a sleeper wall?

depth really isn't that important. Why not scrape some of the upper loose dirt away, and bed a line of dense concrete blocks down on some mortar, and build your bricks up off that.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply, that was sort of the thing I was thinking or hoping would do the trick! So you wouldn't put a concrete footing below?

Sponsored Links
If you are using deeper joists, then do you need a sleeper wall?

Yes because I want to run the thicker joists the way they currently run, so that would mean I would be loosing the supports running the opposite way that are currently cut in to the party wall.

The solid wall on the left is the party wall the, wall on the right is an old dwarf wall between rooms and all those silly little lines are the joists lol

I want the dwarf walls to run along the top and the bottom of this picture so the thicker joists can run the same way

|---------------|
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|---------------|
|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||
|---------------|

So you wouldn't put a concrete footing below?

Personally I wouldn't bother with concrete in this instance. The loading will not be that great. Just try and bed the blocks down evenly to provide a good level for your brickwork.

Brilliant thanks Tony

Nice to hear its going to be an easy fix! :D

OP. Two questions.
Depth from finished floor level to existing sub soil?
Length of internal span of joists?
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back