Dyson surprise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never been convinced, by the claims of how good Dyson's vac's are, and the premium price - until now. New partner, in the process of moving up here, sent ahead of her, her Dyson Animal mains upright and her cordless. The cordless I would class as almost useless, except for odd bits, but the upright drawing only 700w is much better than my AEG pet special1300w upright.

I can go round with the AEG, follow it with the Dyson Animal, yet the Dyson still manages to pick up lots more fur. a couple of criticisms I would make, is that the floor surface adjustment, maximum makes it 'stick' to the carpet too fiercely, the medium setting is not enough. Then for stairs, the rigid section of 'tool' pipe, makes it near impossible to use on stairs. It would be easier without the rigid section.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
a couple of criticisms I would make, is that the floor surface adjustment, maximum makes it 'stick' to the carpet too fiercely, the medium setting is not enough. Then for stairs, the rigid section of 'tool' pipe, makes it near impossible to use on stairs. It would be easier without the rigid section.

With all the new vacuums I've tried, sticking to the carpet has been a problem. It feels like they've compensated for the lower power, by setting the vacuum head closer to the carpet. I find my original Dyson DC01 much easier to push around, even though it weighs twice as much. Rigid tubes are just a pain.

Speaking of your new lady, did she also bring you that marmalade?

Speaking of your new lady, did she also bring you that marmalade?

Yep, 6 jars, and 6x tins of evaporated milk, which has also been in desperately short supply, plus a wine kit I was unable to source locally.

The switch on the vac, seems to just be an air bypass, rather than a height adjuster. Perfect maybe, would have been an extra position between max and medium. I also have our old Kirby Heritage II in the cupboard, that likewise can generate so much suction, it can lock itself to the floor.

Last edited:
Quite unnecessary, I can assure you - I am quite meticulous, though I do wonder where you get the ideas from, perhaps from the way you yourself might live?

It would be very wrong of you, to judge me by your standards..
only going by your own words dog hair everywhere that needs doing twice and second time picks up lots more must be a fair bit to start with .Hopefully this new woman will get you to keep on top of it and stop it getting as bad again

I refereed to our Johnson cleaner as a vacuum cleaner, and was told in no uncertain terms it is not a vacuum cleaner it is an air volatility cleaner. OK a little larger than a Dyson 1681923295755.png but the principle is the same. With a inch gap to road it would suck up a brick, but not with ½ inch gap, and today my 3 kW sucker/blower for garden does a far better job to the Dyson in the garden.

Horses for courses, depends what you want to suck up, the battery unit is far better on the stairs, but Dyson ball far better in the living room. But there is also the repair, Hoover Junior had a rubber band drive very easy to replace, try it on a Dyson, it is a complete strip down, what should happen is if some thing jams it the drive trips out, but once the belt is worn, it slips instead, and the heat melts the plastic bits.

We tried the Robots 1681923934605.png some work, some are useless, but at least we don't need to manually operate them, and likely will make 5 or 6 passes of same spot, so in the end it does pick up the dirt, but more to the point it stops people leaving stuff on the floor when they realise it will be sucked up by the robot.

Horses for courses, depends what you want to suck up, the battery unit is far better on the stairs, but Dyson ball far better in the living room. But there is also the repair, Hoover Junior had a rubber band drive very easy to replace, try it on a Dyson, it is a complete strip down, what should happen is if some thing jams it the drive trips out, but once the belt is worn, it slips instead, and the heat melts the plastic bits.

I assumed there was no drive belt, the beater bar seems to have it's own little motor inside it?

I find my Henry perfectly fine for vacuuming, It’s amazing what it picks up when I get Henry out every year for the carpets

We've got a Dyson V10 cordless for everyday use but every few weeks or so, Mrs Mottie gets the Miele cat 'n' dog corded vacuum out for a thorough clean.

but every few weeks or so, Mrs Mottie gets the Miele cat 'n' dog corded vacuum out for a thorough clean.

I don't know how you manage with a dog in the house, only doing it every few weeks - here, it has to be every few days in certain rooms. I restrict her to only having access to those 'certain rooms' to limit the amount of regular cleaning which needs to be done. The amount of fur shed, reduces drastically after she has had a trim, as now. I usually spend a week, gradually trimming the fur back, a bit at a time.

The best/easiest way I have found for doing the stair carpets, is to use one of those velvet faced brushes they sell for fabric. The pile on the brush points in one direction, you just run it across the carpet in that direction, clear the fur off the brush, throw in down on the hall carpet, then finally vac the hall carpet.

Occasionally, I run one of those sticky paper rollers over, to get it even cleaner. I have one with a short handle, and a second. wider one with a long handle.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back