Dyson Trips ECLB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a 1950s semi, and a few years back we had constant issues with the electric tripping. Especially with computer equipment. It was discovered that both ours and the neighbours were using the same feed, so they split the feed and put us on different phases (I am not a sparky, so I hope I am getting this right).

Generally all is good now, aside from our new dyson, which trips the electric most times we try and use it. We have also borrowed a friends dyson, and that trips it as well. Is there any way of preventing this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of your meter/consumer unit?

Is it only the hoover that trips it?

Always the same socket, or at different points in the house?

Hi,

thanks for replying. It does it on any socket in the house. Generally it is just the Dyson, although on the rare occasion other things have tripped it as well. I remember that my google home sometimes trips it. However, with both our Dyson and my friends Dyson, it is probably fair to say that it is 8or 9 times out of 10 it will trip. The best way of getting the Dyson to work is to leave it on when you reset the trip switch, and this often works.

Cheers

20190708_184326.jpg

The circumstances you have described almost certainly mean there is at least one fault with the installation, and possibly several.
The installation needs to be properly inspected and tested.

Sponsored Links
It could also be that the rcd itself is faulty, as it is an older unit, but as above it needs testing with a proper rcd tester.

Out of interest how is the property earthed? Could you post a picture of your meter/cutout

There is an earth running outside the front door into the ground. I will post a piccy of the meter as soon as I get home.

thanks both for the advice.

There is an earth running outside the front door into the ground.

If that’s the case is there another trip switch between the meter and the consumer unit? As with a TT system as you have described the non rcd circuits on that consumer unit will not disconnect under a live - earth fault, generally speaking

Ah seeing that, it does appear to use the suppliers earth so disregard my last post. I would still recommend getting the rcd tested, as clearly something is not right

It is most likely that the start up current taken by the Dyson's motor together with a "fault" else where are combining to cause the ELCB to trip.

The "fault" could be a genuine fault between Neutral and Earth or not a fault as such but a lot of mains filtering capacitors in equipment that provide a path from Neutral to Earth
For most loads the proportion of current that goes through the fault and by-passes the ELCB sensor is less than 30 mA hence the ELCB does not trip. But the start up current of any motor is higher than the rated running current and the proportion of that high current flowing through the fault will be higher and this may be enough to cause the ELCB to trip
E_N_fault 2018.jpg

Last edited:
I had a call out to a similar fault, RCD tripping when TV or fridge were plugged in, eventually found a fault on shower circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back