Dyson v8 PCB bypass or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I refuse to let my 7 year old Dyson v8 defeat me!

The motor and battery are fine and I have kept it in tip top condition by regularly cleaning the filters and giving it a quick occasional blast with an air compressor and now it refuses to be mended! I'm frustrated and cross!

So after I've cleaned and straightened every contact many times, tightened the wiring on the PCB (just in case), tested the electrical circuits... I've decided it's the motherboard that's stopping the motorised tools from working.

My next step might be to rewire the motorised brush wires directly to the power connectors on the PCB and bypass whatever the motherboard is doing. (I have no idea what electronics do.) But ideally I'd like to replace the PCB and make it work properly. It will be at the absolute limits of my mending abilities to attempt this.

But I can't find anyone that sells them in the UK. That's odd. How are people supposed to be able to repair them if they can't buy the parts?

Any ideas or help please?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Battery is also 7 years old. But holds it's charge well.

I tested what I think is the voltage :unsure: between the contacts for the attachments and it was 22 or 23 I think. I'm a novice with a multimeter. Not really sure about using it except for testing continuity. I used the setting with a V and a wavy squiggle.

Apparently you get flashing lights and stuff when the battery is on the way out.

Sponsored Links
are the batteries internal ??
if a seperate unit do you have a second battery to try or a second tool to try it on??

a battery can be fully charged but so well down on capacity a load will be too much
i have a ryobi battery that shows green but iff you hold the battery check for around 30 seconds on that minute load it will go to yellow and red then full charge in about 2 mins

Last edited:
are the batteries internal ??
Yes. All the lights are green. And without attaching a motorised tool it runs for about 25mins. No flashing warning lights. And never had a red battery light which apparently is the death knell.

if a seperate unit do you have a second battery to try or a second tool to try it on??
I've tried it on various other attachments. All the same. As soon as I attach a motorised tool it cuts out. To restart it after removing the tool I have to either plug it into the charger for one second or open and close the bin in order to reset the motor PCB.

Last edited:
I've wasted ages on Google and YouTube where people claim to repair this problem only to discover that their 'magic fix' is cleaning tangled hair off the roller or checking the filter. :rolleyes:

The only video where someone actually did proper repair work was a guy who replaced the broken MOSFET on the PCB using tweezers and a microscope. Amazing to watch but a bit advanced for a 55 year old housewife with a handful of torx screwdrivers, some isopropyl alcohol and a multimeter...

sounds like the battery needs replacing to me as i said above a full indicator means its up to capacity but iff the capacity is say 15% off what it was it can't handle the extra load

this is 100% typical off what happens on a failing battery but without another battery or powertool you cant say for 100%

Get a corded one. Mine hasn't a motherboard, nor even a daughter board. There is a granddaughter board on the motor, though. Third party motor is easily available. That means I only ever need to buy one cleaner for life.

Sponsored Links
Back