Potterton Suprima 80 HE keeps shutting down - indicator lights off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a strange fault with my boiler and I can't figure out what is going on.

I have a Potterton Suprima 80 HE approx 6 years old and I haven't had any major issue until now.
Two days ago it stopped working, the indicator lights were all off. Previously when this boiler had the occasional blip and lockout it would indicate an issue with a red flashing light which I could clear by resetting the boiler. But this latest issue could only be cleared by switching the fused switch for the boiler off and waiting an hour and switching it on again. The boiler would then fire up, green indicator lights come on as normal and provide heating as normal for anything between 1 hour to 8 hours before it completely shutting down again.
I've been through this cycle about 5 times so far.

I worked through the following checks:
  • Checked that the pump is working and sounded like normal
  • Checked the expansion tank and made sure nothing was blocking the flow
  • Checked that the valve near the hot water tank is working
  • Bled the radiators and fairly sure we don't have an airlock
  • All radiators would warm up as normal and hot water is ok
  • Flue isn't obstructed
  • Listened for the fan in the boiler and I could hear that working
  • Timer and room thermostat set correctly and seem to be in good working order
All of that seemed ok.

After reading around it seems that it is not uncommon for the PCBs to go faulty, so I removed and inspected the PCB and it looked looked like new, no black / scorch marks as people seem to often report, solder joints clean and solid.

So I came to the conclusion that one of the PCB components have become faulty.
However while the boiler was in shutdown mode and before I went to switch off the fused switch I disconnected one of the connector blocks on the PCB and the boiler switched on with green indicator lights. It was the connector block which has live neutral and earth wires only and leads to the gas valve.

While the boiler did switch on, it was unable to switch on the burner which I presume is because I disconnected the power/control to the gas valve.

It made me wonder if it is after all a fault on the PCB or is the gas valve faulty?
The PCB is a Honeywell code 5110550.07 manufactured May/09

If it is the PCB I would consider replacing it myself as it looks very easy.
Anything else I would call someone out.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
So the boiler locks out after 1 to 8 hours showing no lights at all.

It does rather sound like a PCB fault. Although one check I would be making would be to measure the current taken by the pump. Or alternatively to power the pump independently on test.

However we don't encourage DIY repairs of this nature because you don't have the equipment to check the operation of the boiler after your work.

It does not sound as if you have had it professionally serviced either.

So the advice would be to engage a gas safe registered engineer to come and diagnose, repair and service the boiler.

Tony

engage a gas safe registered engineer to come and diagnose, repair and service the boiler.

Thank you Tony.
I went and changed over the PCB for a refurbished unit which only cost £35 and thought It was fixed, the system was running for 24 hours then it stopped. This time the indicators didn't go off, they showed an error which when I looked up the manual corresponded to the Air Pressure switch.

I thought I found a reputable Gas Safe professional on check a trade to deal with it and I had a bad experience!
The guy turned up, I explained I had changed the PCB and he said it might be the fan or pressure switch or PCB.
I asked if he could do the check you suggested and he said he didn't have the equipment to do that.
We agreed to change the fan for a refurbished unit, but he wasn't able to remove the existing fan from the boiler, he spent 15 minutes trying to pull it out and then left saying he would get the refurb unit the following day and fit it. He never showed up and not returning calls. Meanwhile family freezing!

Currently waiting for another GSR to visit my house to fix it.

Sponsored Links
call Potterton and get a fixed price repair instead of wasting any more money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back