E.M.A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now it's gone, iv'e just realised, the mother loses money as well, as she get's less money for him, as he's doing nothing. Have i got it wrong?

Sponsored Links
Now it's gone, iv'e just realised, the mother loses money as well, as she get's less money for him, as he's doing nothing. Have i got it wrong?
I don't think that the parent's pay more in tax or receive less in benefits/tax credits etc. What it does mean is that they will need to make up the £30 per week shortfall in income for their son's or daughter's travel, books etc.

All this thing about EMA and university fees is simply a reversal of governmental social policy as it hascome to the conclusion that there are a load of graduates out there who have cost the state a lot of money for their education and now that they are highly qualified end up doing basic jobs which never needed somebody trained up to graduate level in the first place.

Thus it is a return to either very bright or very wealthy people going to higher education. It's not a Tory thing, it was always going to happen anyway.

A friend of mine is a lecturer at our local college. He used to have students turn up for their registration, then leave the college, then still expect to get their EMA. Parents would either call him, or turn up at college demanding to know why "Our little Tommy, etc" hadn't got their £30 this week.
When he told them the truth, they either didn't believe it, or blamed the college for letting their son/daughter walk out.
Not one parent actually blamed their kids though.

Theres a whole generation of kids brought up on nu labours easy money and they now know they have to pick up the tab and face decades of austerity due to their parents greed.
Surprise surprise... materials and possessions actually have to be paid for. The private sector is bled dry and the banks magic money (fractional reserve lending) has run its course.
Welcome to the real world.

Sponsored Links
I don't think that the parent's pay more in tax or receive less in benefits/tax credits etc.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx quote....

May of explained wrong, a neighbour (honest), is on the social, when the ema stops, the child can't afford to go to college, (we know they can, if they WANT to) my missus says it affects child tax and family allowance, stopped.

Now she's just said, said it dosen't matter if your on the social, or working, it get's stopped,

Please, someone prove her wrong, she's usually well up on this stuff, she's worked all her life, has two jobs at the mo, as i don't work, so she isn't a bad one before anyone gives me a dig for it :oops:

I'll do a bit more research at work tomorrow - a few of my colleagues have kids that may be affected and may have more info.

From the HMRC website on Child Benefit -

"Who is eligible?

You may be able to get Child Benefit if your child is:

aged under 16
over 16 but under 20 - and is in education or training that counts for Child Benefit
under 18 and has recently left education or training - but they must have registered for work, education or training with a careers service, Connexions, Ministry of Defence or similar
"

So if an under 18 leaves college because they can't be bothered to bike it there rather than get their bus paid for by EMA, AND, if they fail to register for work, education or training, then the parents have their Child Benefit stopped.

If an under 20 jacks in college the parents will also lose Child Benefit, but I wasn't aware that a 20 year old was considered a child!!!

Sponsored Links
Back