Working mothers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody spot a hole in this logic.

1) New mother runs out of maternity leave and goes back to work. She earns money and pays tax.

2) New mother has taken a job that somebody else could be doing. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

3) New mother needs a nanny to look after junior while she's at work. Somebody that didn't get a job because some new mother went back to work takes the nanny's job instead. She earns money and pays tax.

So far so good but here comes the catch. The new mother finds herself working for very little because she has to pay the nanny. On the other hand the government is laughing all the way to the bank. Tony and his cronies are getting two lots of tax out of the same pay packet.

Sponsored Links
felix said:

1) New mother runs out of maternity leave and goes back to work. She earns money and pays tax.

2) New mother has taken a job that somebody else could be doing. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

3) New mother needs a nanny to look after junior while she's at work. Somebody that didn't get a job because some new mother went back to work takes the nanny's job instead. She earns money and pays tax.

So far so good but here comes the catch. The new mother finds herself working for very little because she has to pay the nanny. On the other hand the government is laughing all the way to the bank. Tony and his cronies are getting two lots of tax out of the same pay packet.
that's where childcare payments come in, the only problem is that you have to use a registered childminder to receive the payment and tax relief, this is ok for 9-5 workers but you just try and get a registered minder that will work irregular hours.

Dear Felix

Is your story based on working mothers or the government?
If A I have an alternative story for you:

New father goes back to work........ etc.

Fair enough. There's no reason why dad shouldn't stay at home while mum goes back to work, at least not once baby is off breast milk. I was actually having a go at the government in as much as they have a hidden motive for wanting mums to get back to work.

I've even thought of another one. Mum might be doing a job where there aren't enough qualified workers to fill the vacancies. So if she goes back to work as a nurse (for example), whoever gets the nanny's job comes off the dole. Tony gets the unemployment figures down, saves on unemployment benefit AND collects two lots of tax on the same pay. That's quite a motive! So who's the loser? Probably the baby.

I'd forgotten about the new childcare payments though as kendor points out they're rather restrictive. I can see an advantage in having a register of approved childminders, just as there is an advantage in a register of doorpersons. On the other hand, I wonder how much it costs to get yourself registered - and who gets the money!!!

Sponsored Links
felix said:

Well firstly, Mum gets her life back. interaction with other grown ups making new friends and all that go's with it.
this thing with tax? sounds like they stuck it in their back pockets and headed for the pub, we pay less tax and get more for it than many other countries. how much tax would you like us to pay?? :)

kendor said:
felix said:

that's where childcare payments come in, the only problem is that you have to use a registered childminder to receive the payment and tax relief, this is ok for 9-5 workers but you just try and get a registered minder that will work irregular hours.

9 times out of 10 you are only working to pay the minder

Most parents of young children I know either:

a) Mum is a full-time housewife or has a part-time job which only involves working when hubby isn't

or

b) The child's grandparents, uncles/aunts etc. live nearby and help out a lot.

This does suggest, as Jasy says, that often it is uneconomical for a woman to work whilst paying nannies or childminders (unless they are BA pilots, they have loads of money and should quit their bi*chin').

How about mum has a well paid job which cannot be stepped out of then into at will ?

So mum works, paying a high percentage of her salary for care - be it family or not - with the future in mind ?

Not arguing the case for or against working mums .. Just taking a longer view, which I am sure a career concious mum could very well take.
:)

Sponsored Links
Back