E-scooters legal soon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see this morning the DOT is shortly going to review the legality of e-scooters and of other modes of e transport. About fking time for god sake.

I used an e-scooter for a few years in Switzerland to commute to work and one over here when i am in cities. The difference i found though is the abundance of cycle lanes in Switzerland whereas here there are a distinct lack of dedicated lanes, neither do we have dedicated lans for trams etc.

We are fundamentally infra poor when it comes to adding additional transport not just cars, so i see both sides here, lots of scooters wizzing along at 15mph there's going to be incidents. They need their own lanes.

One observation i've always found about escooters is rear view. Unlike a bike it's very hard to look over your shoulder when riding standing it can really upset your balance, which is when e-scooters on roads turns into a death trap. Interesting times, i hope they manage to legalise them.

Sponsored Links
I can imagine dozens of teenage oiks flying down pedestrian precincts and pavements :eek: basically causing mayhem.....
Yet another poorly thought out piece of legislation, in my opinion.
Grumpy John :)

I can imagine dozens of teenage oiks flying down pedestrian precincts and pavements :eek: basically causing mayhem.....
Yet another poorly thought out piece of legislation, in my opinion.
No i agree hence my concern but at the same time they're here to stay, not sure if you're aware in alot of cities now you can just pick up an escooter like a boris bike unlock it with an app on your phone and then leave it elsewhere for someone else. So makes sense, but we need lanes everywhere for them not pavements.

Sponsored Links
Tricky - not just mirrors. For a Class 3 mobility scooter (my field) to be road legal it needs to have a speed limiter on it (8mph), lights, hazard warning lights, brake lights, indicators and a mirror, i.e. the same as a moped/scooter. Not sure how that would be possible on a stand-up scooter. As soon as you allow them on the roads, it means they can be on the roads at night, in the dark. It's bad enough with chavs on bikes with no lights shouting at you for almost knocking them over in the dark, this will make things worse.

No i agree hence my concern but at the same time they're here to stay, not sure if you're aware in alot of cities now you can just pick up an escooter like a boris bike unlock it with an app on your phone and then leave it elsewhere for someone else. So makes sense, but we need lanes everywhere for them not pavements.
What about using them when drunk, could you lose your licence if caught? They should be taxed,insured and have some means of identification and use bus lanes or cycle lanes.What about mini motos, will they be allowed ?

Like many things, a good enough idea if people behave when using them (which they won’t)(n)
Having suffered a trip to Lanzarote (Costa Teguise or somewhere) the walkways are full of them, and I’ll bet they do 15mph, no trouble. Some of the kids looked around 8 and were having a ball - who wouldn’t?
Legislation and registration/insurance required.

What about using them when drunk, could you lose your licence if caught? They should be taxed,insured and have some means of identification and use bus lanes or cycle lanes.What about mini motos, will they be allowed ?

Yep - class 3 mobility scooters require you to register with DVLA, and you are advised to take out insurance too. That might become law at some point.

Legislation in Queensland for example:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/wheeled-devices/personal-mobility-devices

Basically common sense but mentions pathways not roads.

Whereas in Zurich for example the rules are the opposite, here they are closer to ebike rules, ie prohibited on pedestrian walkways and should be used on cycle lanes.

Mini motos hehe stop it.

Bus lanes :D not if you want them all to die?

Maybe a drunk mode of 8km/h?

They do make sense. But should be treated as ebikes not legs for the lazy.

I suspect they’ll end up with a moped classification.

Yep - class 3 mobility scooters require you to register with DVLA, and you are advised to take out insurance too. That might become law at some point.
Wouldn’t your house insurance cover you for public liability?

Next they will. Be bri gong ba k the Sinclair C5

Contraption :LOL:

E scooters :confused: ban em off the road

Same go's for so.mE of the bum up head down brigade on push bikes there a danger to them selves and other road users
And Tbh slot of em are an embarrassment with there stupid out fits

This lycra may well. Be OK on some fit lady but some of these duffers Jeez us wept :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back