Ear defenders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Community

I am not sure if this is the most appropriate part of the forum to post this in, or whether I might have chosen another section. So it goes.

My question is about ear defenders. I live next door to DIY enthusiasts...with their saws, and hammers and electric drills and other bits and pieces which clearly add joy to their world, but detracts from mine. I have not said anything because that might be the start of a shooting war and I really want to avoid that. And up to a point people should enjoy what they enjoy doing. However, it is Sunday and the noise (no doubt it is sound to them) started an hour ago.

I currently have three types of Peltor Ear Defenders including their Optime III. That one - the Optime III - provides some relief, but I would like an ear defender which Really would mask the noise especially from drills. Bottom line, I just don't want to know what my neighbours are up to.

Would anyone have any ideas re serious ear defenders which both protect ear drums and mask high decibel sounds/ noise?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
you might try doubling up using the insert plug type then the defenders over top

the deep base tones are very difficult to defend.

i find that once you are cocooned inside your noise free bubble, you are then by human nature, trying to seek out noises as your hearing is impaired. this is exaggerated when the hammering stops.

cruel world innit. :rolleyes:

you can get active noise-cancelling headphones

Sponsored Links
i think if you approach them sympathetically and point out the distress it is causing you then they may alter their behaviour making your life bearable. If they arent decent enough to do so then they deserve whatever an EHO throws at them. You shouldnt have to resort to ear plugs in your own home.

ask them how long they will be, 4 hours max on a sunday with a hammer and saw is long enough god said it was a DAY OF REST SO BE IT, or go give them a hand it never seems to hurt when your doing it yourself,they should understand,if they give you abuse well we will point to environmental health they can stop it

Thanks to all including noseall whose point about bubbles and noise is valid in a similar way to coming out of a cinema into a bright sun filled day. I understand where you are coming from. Life does let you down. I would just prefer to hear less of my neighbour's life.

With 7.15 am Sunday morning DIY enthusiasts I do not think "reason" will work, nor do I want to "retaliate" and start a range war.

I will investigate both noise cancelling headphones or strengthening my existing Peltor range with additional ear plugs. Pace noseall.

Thanks agaub for all you help and support as I come to another the shoreline of another "fun filled" Sunday.

7:15 on a Sunday morning, is way way way out of order! You should definitely have a word. Or failing that write a letter explaining the distress they are causing.

stanichsspecial said:
Thanks to all including noseall whose point about bubbles and noise is valid in a similar way to coming out of a cinema into a bright sun filled day. I understand where you are coming from. Life does let you down. I would just prefer to hear less of my neighbour's life.

With 7.15 am Sunday morning DIY enthusiasts I do not think "reason" will work, nor do I want to "retaliate" and start a range war.

I will investigate both noise cancelling headphones or strengthening my existing Peltor range with additional ear plugs. Pace noseall.

Thanks agaub for all you help and support as I come to another the shoreline of another "fun filled" Sunday.

youre mad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back