Earth bonding a metal soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Does anyone know what the regs say about earthing a metal soil pipe that enters a bathroom? I'm told that it should be bonded with 10mm cable stright back to the consumer unit.
If so it's no real problem as I'm refitting the bathroom which includes lifting some floorboards so easily done.
Where does one get an earth strap for the soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I've just seen the other thread regarding this subject and it seems that the issue is not a clear one. Unless anyone has any updates on the matter?

IMO, and logically thinking, it should be main bonded as it enters the house, like your water main. This bond goes back to the main earth terminal near your fuse box.

Then, it should also be supplementary bonded within the bathroom, but note that supp bonds dont go back to the fuse box, they simply tie everything in the room to the same potential.

Sponsored Links
I agree, it is an extraneous conductive part, so requires main bonding, but as it is in an bathroom, it also requires inclusion in the supplementary bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back