earth bonding and whirlpool advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents

Some advice if you may?

1) Bathroom is currently totally striped all lead pipes have been removed and replaced with copper. There was no earth bonding on any of the old pipes in the bathroom.

What is the requirement for this in the bathroom should I run an earth leads to the junction box? Also there is no earth bonding for the central heating pipes that I can see?

2) Before I put the floorboards back down I’m thinking of running a wire in case we decide to go with a whirlpool bath, 6 year old says yes we can’t make our mind up? (with the whirlpool that is)

If I decide to run a wire is this best to be an appliance flex type 2 core plus earth or normal 2.5mm . Also if we decide to do this can the fused spur be located in the cupboard in the bathroom that houses the boiler (there is all ready a fused spur for the boiler here which is taken from a radial circuit in the loft, which is supplied by a 16amp RCD. The cupboard is approx 1 meter from the bath and next to vanity unit?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
If you have RCD supplementary protection for all the circuits in your bathroom then you no longer have to have supplementary bonding :!:

However, myself, personally I like a bit of bonding, to water, radiator, bath (if its metal) you never know when that RCD is going to give up the ghost.

So if you choose to bond use some 10mm and bring it back to the MET.

Read the manufacturers instructions for the whirlpool, you need the correct size, cable for the power rating (I suspect 2.5 Twin&cpc is sufficient) don't use cheap nasty flex

FCU in the airing cupboard is fine, but not in the vanity unit (water???)

Oh before Bas gets in, this is NOTAFIABLE WORK

However, myself, personally I like a bit of bonding, to water, radiator, bath (if its metal) you never know when that RCD is going to give up the ghost.

So if you choose to bond use some 10mm and bring it back to the MET.

Please don't give advice about a subject you don't appear to understand.

You should only ever install supplementary protective bonding conductors after due consideration of the circumstances and resistance measurements on site.

And no need to take supplementary bonding back to the MET. If all the circuits in the bathroom have 30 mA RCD protection and you can confirm you have main protective bonds in place (usually 10mm2 linking gas and water incomers to MET.....all usually found close to consumer unit) then there is no need to provide supplementary bonding in the bathroom.

If this condition is not met, then you should provide supplementary bonding between all circuits, extraneous metalwork, and exposed conductive parts. Usual way is to run 4mm2 green/yellow cable to an accessory serving each circuit and to all rads, pipes, metalwork etc. This bonding is 100% local anddoes not go back to the MET.

Sponsored Links
bath (if its metal)
no! you bond metal objects that may bring potentials into an area, to ensure they all remain at the same potential. A bath alone can not bring a deadly potential into a bathroom, its the pipes you are concerned with (and CPCs of circuits etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back