Earth Bonding Gas and Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had an electrician around the other day to give me a quote to install some lights.
He pointed out that there are no earth bonding cables from the fuse board to the gas meter and the water mains/stopcock. He then said he is not allowed to do any electrical jobs until this been sorted out.

I have had 3 electricians here before doing various jobs in the bathroom and the kitchen and none of them have pointed this out as being andissue.

Can somebody tell me if it is required to have the earth bonding cables in place to the gas and water supply? The house is built 1972.

Thanks . :idea:

Sponsored Links
Bin the other electricians.
Yes he is right the earthing bonds need sorting before any other work can be undertaken.
You'll also need rcd on the lighting circuit (or any other circuit thats worked on)
I'll give you a reg number in a few mins if you want.

No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating & the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore, the earthing & bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.

Sponsored Links
the electrician could have offered a price to do it, or you could do it yourself. It is not difficult, but takes some time clambering about on the floor, maybe drilling holes in walls. So most of the cost will be in his working time.

We can advise how to do it yourself (it is not notifiable work), especially if you post photos of the water and gas mains where they enter your building, and of the "fusebox" (consumer unit) and the incoming electricity supply cable by the meter, the suppliers fuse, and the various cables between them (especially any green and yellow ones).

Look at your meter board to see if it has a label saying "Protective Multiple Earth".

So long as you do not cut and join the new cables, and the terminations at the end are visible and accessible, it will be easy for him to see that you have done it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back