Earth bonding in bathroom - but have they done it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Visited a relative on the East Coast a few weeks ago and noticed, while on the throne, (not that you needed to know that), that there was, what seemed to be a 4mm earth cable run from the radiator to the toilet inlet supply. Earth wire was tacked onto the top of the wooden skirting in the bathroom.

I inquired of my relative, who informed me that they have had somebody around, under a free initiative to make sure that the boiler is efficient, they fitted a thermostat and then bonded.

Question.

Why just bond the radiator and the inlet supply on the toilet and not continue onto the sink, bath, electric shower and other places. Correct me if I am wrong but I was of the view that, for earth bonding to be effective, it requires all parts to be bonded, such as the above.

Kind regards

Andemz

Sponsored Links
Assuming the pipes are electrically continuous, there is no need to bond them at numerous places. The hot and cold could have been cross bonded at the airing cupboard, and the shower could be bonded at the isolator switch where you wouldn't have seen it. The bond at the toilet could have been the closest point for the rad. pipes to be bonded to the rest of the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back