Earth bonding in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Bit of advice needed on this. I have recently ripped out my old bathroom and revamped. When I removed the bath panel the only earth bonding visible was an earth followed back to the consumer unit (30ma dual RCD protected split circuit breaker board.) This conects to the metal bath leg supports. There is no earth to any pipework under floor boards. I have found the incoming water supply pipes dowbstairs to be earthed and this goes back to consumer unit.

• The question is? What do I need to earth before I tile and get everthing fixed in.
  • Can i use the exsisting earth cable (16mm) to go around all metal pipes in the bathroom with earth clamps? is it just a case of connecting one to the other?
Ony Incoming electric points in bathroom are obviously the lighting circuit and a seperate humidistat which is fused down to a switch outside of the bathroom.

I have a combo of plastic and copper pipes supplying shower bath and sink, metal flexihose to loo and new rad installed with copper pipes.

Any suggestions? My very reliable sparky sadly passed away recentlyand Im lost at who to ask.

I will not take risks but if this is a job I can easily do myself then I would like to, otherwise I will try to find a new electrician.

thanks for any suggestions in advance. Just want to get on with completing my project before I go back to work.

regards

Drew

Sponsored Links
an earth followed back to the consumer unit (30ma dual RCD protected split circuit breaker board.) This conects to the metal bath leg supports.
That is completely wrong, and always was.

If bonding is required, then it involves connecting together the protective conductors (earth wires) of circuits entering the bathroom and any extraneous conductive parts (typically metal pipes which enter from outside the bathroom).
The connections must remain accessible, so tiling them in is not an option. Connections can be made outside of the bathroom such as in an adjacent airing cupboard or the loft.
None of it involves any wires back to the consumer unit.

As you have an RCD covering all of the circuits, it is unlikely that bonding is required at all.

Ok so it seems like it is not needed. I wouldnt be tiling over any of the connections as the bath pipe work is accessible fromthe panel. the sink is a vanity unit so accesible from the drawer. Toilet flexi ,also just boxed over, shower also accesible form bath panel and incoming supplies are accessible form a corner cupboard. I just wanted to sort it all before tiling thats all. Thanks for your reply flameport! any second opinions out there? or is it wise to speak to an electrician?
Drew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back