Earth bonding in kitchen extension

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running all the cable required for a kitchen extension from the c.u, to the site of a the extension. Already run all the appropriate cable for ring, lighting, cooker etc but am stumped on the requirement for a separate earth cable.

Neither the gas nor water main will enter the house via the extension (these enter elsewhere and are already bonded back to the c.u with 10mm cable).

So, do I need to run an additional dedicated earth cable out to this extension for any type of earth bonding? I do not believe so but thought I'd check before putting floors back down.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
So, do I need to run an additional dedicated earth cable out to this extension for any type of earth bonding?
Earthing and bonding are not the same thing.

If you did run a cable out there, what would you connect it to?

I do not believe so but thought I'd check before putting floors back down.
What puzzles me is how, if you don't even know what the requirements are for bonding, you can possibly know enough about all the other aspects of designing and installing new circuits.

Hi ban-all-sheds. Apologies if I have misused the terms. Obviously I know that earthing and bonding are not the same thing.

Let's put it this way, the gas and water mains in the house are already connected back to the meter using 10mm cable. All the taps etc in the bathroom are all bonded together and then connected back to the earth in the lighting circuit for that room.

As regards the extension, is there any requirement to bond the taps etc together in the new kitchen and would these items then be connected to the earth of any of the kitchen's circuits or even a dedicated cable back to the earth terminal at the meter? As I say, I don't see a reason for such a dedicated earth cable but if there is any chance that it might be required then I'd like to run the cable now while I still have the floors up.

Cheers,

iep

No. SEB for kitchens has not been a requirement of the regulations since the 15th edition.

Even if it were, SEB conductors do NOT go back to the MET.

• Thanks
Reactions: iep
Sponsored Links
Thanks securespark. That was my best guess but I wanted to be properly sure before I started putting the house back together.

Cheers,

iep

As regards the extension, is there any requirement to bond the taps etc together in the new kitchen and would these items then be connected to the earth of any of the kitchen's circuits or even a dedicated cable back to the earth terminal at the meter?
Surely you've got copies of the Wiring Regulations and On-Site Guide you could look at to find the answer?

If not then WTF is all this about:
I'm running all the cable required for a kitchen extension from the c.u, to the site of a the extension. Already run all the appropriate cable for ring, lighting, cooker etc

Hi ban-all-sheds, not sure I understand your question. 'WTF' is what about?

I seem to have upset you. Not sure how.

Cheers,

iep

Hi ban-all-sheds, not sure I understand your question. 'WTF' is what about?
This:
I'm running all the cable required for a kitchen extension from the c.u, to the site of a the extension. Already run all the appropriate cable for ring, lighting, cooker etc
You have decided that you are competent to design and install electrical circuits.

On what basis did you decide that, given that you either do not have, or have but cannot understand, copies of the Wiring Regulations or the On-Site Guide?

but am stumped on the requirement for a separate earth cable.
And what that says, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that you are nowhere near competent to be designing and installing electrical installations.

thought I'd check before putting floors back down
What you need to do before putting the floors back down is to hand over to an electrician.

Hi ban-all-sheds, we seem to have got off on the wrong foot here and you appear to have become fixated on some of the wording of my first post (that I have already acknowledged was incorrect).

To put your mind at rest, all I am doing is running cable from the site of the c.u. (not hooking it up), to the site of an extension (not hooking it up). I have taken advice on the regulations relevant to routing the cables and followed them to the letter. Final hook up of all the wiring in the extension and at the c.u. will obviously be carried out by a qualified electrician (since that is the law).

All cabling has been run in appropriate gauge for required current (including consideration for medium through which it is routed) and all circuits will be protected by individual RCBOs (expensive but my preferred option).

My only query here was whether the earth bonding would be required in the new kitchen (since it exists in the existing kitchen, installed in 1978) and whether this should be routed back to the Meter (as per the existing kitchen install). I do have the latest wiring guidelines but since they did not agree with the existing installation I was concerned that I had misunderstood them. As such, I came to this forum for a bit of advice.

While I appreciate your vigour, you should probably try to dial your aggression back a notch, I can't imagine it's great for your health to get so worked up.

Cheers,

iep

I have taken advice on the regulations relevant to routing the cables and followed them to the letter.
Advice from whom?

Final hook up of all the wiring in the extension and at the c.u. will obviously be carried out by a qualified electrician (since that is the law).
So have you already engaged an electrician, and have you done everything under his supervision and direction?

Won't he want to inspect the cables before the floor goes down?

If your plan is to just find an electrician, present him with your fait accompli and ask him to connect and certify it you'll be sadly disappointed.

Hi ban-all-sheds, you really do seem to want me to have messed up. It seems to mean a lot to you. I'll try to answer your questions below:

Quote: Advice from whom?

From this forum, from a friend who is an elctrician and from reading over the IEEE Wiring Regulations - Inspection,Testing and Certification book (17th edition).

Quote: So have you already engaged an electrician, and have you done everything under his supervision and direction?

Yes, I have had many conversations with a friend who is an electrician and sent him photos of the cable routing as we have gone along.

Quote: Won't he want to inspect the cables before the floor goes down?

Yes, see comment above. I have also left access hatches which can be lifted to inspect some areas of the plumbing and wiring that run beneath the floor.

Quote:If your plan is to just find an electrician, present him with your fait accompli and ask him to connect and certify it you'll be sadly disappointed.

As per my comments above, I have a friend who is an electrician and he has already agreed to help me out with final hook up and testing. He has reviewed my wiring in the past and always judged the design and installation to be of a high standard.

Your next question is likely to be along the lines of 'if you have a friend happy to sign off your work why didn't you just ask him?'.

Basically, I wasn't able to get hold of him yesterday and, besides, I don't want to pester him too much and thought I'd try to source the info elsewhere.

As a general note, your attitude from the outset of this discussion has been that I must have made a mistake rather than assuming I am competent or asking clear/articulate questions to reassure yourself that I am.

While I may have confused the bonding and earthing terms earlier on in the thread (though hardly to the point where my enquiry was impossible to understand), this being a DIY forum, you might expect people to make the odd mistake with terminology and try to work with them to clarify their enquiry. Certainly, rather that than wilfully misinterpreting their question and trying to use their minor error as a means to ridicule or discourage their curiosity.

Cheers,

iep

It's not the terminology which was the problem - it was the complete lack of understanding of (whatever words you call it) what main bonding connects to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back