earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can any one tell me if I need to add any earth bonding to radiators or bathroom fittings if I use only john guest speed fit pipe work and fixings.

Sponsored Links
Plastic pipes don't need earthing. Where metal pipes do not interconnect rooms they also do not require earthing for example where plastic is underfloor and bit that is seen is metal.

However if the metal pipes join two rooms for example airing cupboard to bathroom then really you should earth the pipe as it could transmit the fault from one room to another.

Metal pipes with plastic coupling is a problem as it needs about 1 meter of pipe to fully isolate and either it needs full isolation or full bonding and the gap between two metal pipes connected by a plastic connector is not enough.

This is the way I read the regulations others may interpret it different and if you need to get anyone to sign paperwork then check what they want.

There are reams of PDF documents on the IET web site on the earthing with plastic pipes and it seems they feel where the plastic does isolate it is safer than bonding but if only using push on connectors on metal pipe I would cross bond each joint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies I much appreciate them. I am using only plastic pipe and fittings so I take it that I am OK to leave it all bonding free

new taps etc will need bonding wont they? i may be wrong but wont water transmit any electric current to a point where it can be transmitted to a person through touch? the speedfit wont transmit but any metal fittings will?
or am i totally wrong?

its not easy to get your head around this eh? :)
so , if all your pipework to your bathroom is plastic then all exposed pipework is copper and your bath is cast iron , all you need to do is bond the rads , pipes , bath and waste together but you dont have to connect the earth to the CU?
surely if for some reason the radiator became live wouldn't everything then become live through the earth wire?

earthbonding.jpg

or am i getting this all wrong? in this case should no bonding take place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back