Earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can I run one 10mm cable to the rising water main and then strap the kitchen water supply to the gas pipe? Or do I need two (one for each)?
The water main is in the bathroom and the gas is in the kitchen.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
A single cable to bond both services is fine, however it must be continuous (a way to acheieve this is to remove a section of insulation with a knife, part the strands into two groups with a screwdriver and put the bolt that holds it onto the clamp through the middle)

I have already cut the cable.
I live in a first floor bungalow ( on top of garragees) I have had to run the cable from the shed (gound floor) in to the loft and attach with clamp to the rising main. I was going to strap the hot & cold & gas together in the kitchen along with the pipes that go with the hot water tank which is in the cubard next to the gas meter.

Thanks

Hi MartArt..
Please refer to page 172/173 of the "on site guide " It shows you a pictorial layout for domestic bonding. It is OK to use one continuous equipotential bonding cable to earth incoming gas and water mains. Ensure it is in 10mm, strapped no more than 600mmm inboard of the stopcocks and is finally connected to the main earthing terminal.
If all is achieved...then all is OK. :)

Tanglewood

Sponsored Links
If you have already cut the main bond and want to use it looped to two services, then reconnect it using a correctly applied crimp splice, and connect as I describe

It should also be noted that supp. bonding is no longer needed in kitchens, only bathrooms, however there is a rumour that the gas regs require boilers to be supp bonded (but its not required as far as as a sparky is concerned)

Tanglewood

Where is this on site guide?

Adam

I did cut it long and there is plenty of room for this

This correctly applied crimp splice do I need a special tool for this?
Would hooking the two ends together and soldering the joint be as good?

Martart...
Clearly if you do not know what the "On Site Guide" is, then you are not a Domestic Electrician, so therefore do not know the importance and reasoning for main equipotential bonding. I would advise you to have the job done properly and to give yourself peace of mind, get a qualified Electrician in.

Tanglewood.

MartArt said:
Where is this on site guide?
Its a book available for £17 from the IEE, contains a most of the tables from the regs that are used on a daily basis when working on small installations, the OSG while more readable than the 'regs can be pretty daunting if concepts such as ELFI arn't second nature to you, so the electricians guide by John WHitfield is probably a worthwhile read before attempting to understand the OSG (it is re-produced online here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm )

This correctly applied crimp splice do I need a special tool for this?
yes, a rachet crimper for uninsulated splices that has a range that covers 10mm²

Would hooking the two ends together and soldering the joint be as good?

Only if the soldered joint is made properly, and its going to involve binding wire and a bigger heat source than the 18w antec off an electronics bench :LOL:

Both methods of joining should be covered over with heat shrink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back